Minarelli V1 ignition coil for Safari Super Extra

I recently picked up a non-running 77 Safari Super Extra powered by a Minarelli V1 for $50. The engine appears to be in decent shape. It's not seized and has compression. I plan on stripping it down to the frame and completely rebuilding it over the winter but before doing so I'd like to at least verify if the engine runs.

When I picked it up, the ignition coil was disconnected, completely rusted and missing the spark plug boot. I don't really know much about ignition coils and I'm not sure what will work with my bike. I thought I had found one but as it turns out, the mounting bracket is about 5 times thicker and the holes don't line up. Maybe it'll still work if I can figure out another way to attach it, I dunno?

Can anyone help me figure this out? Also, it appears that the bike has a ground connection that's supposed to connect to one of the ignition coil mounting screws. Does the ignition coil have to be mounted and ground connected in order for the bike to start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I'm pretty new to mopeds and I don't know a ton about how they work but I'm learning more and more every day. Dumbed down answers are definitely welcomed.* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

1012161946.jpg
00M0M_awh4Rg0G5Wg_1200x900.jpg

Re: Minarelli V1 ignition coil for Safari Super Extra

Smiley Vyrus /

Looks like a runner to me. Put a boot on that coil. Put it back on, and clean the points. You may have to hard wire it to eliminate any wiring issues or maybe not. Read Freds guide in the wiki. read read read enjoy and good luck. Ill help as much as I can.

Smiley Vyrus /

oh yeah, leave it crusty, it looks bad ass that way :).

Thanks for the response. I just assumed the original coil was probably toast. Does the coil have to be grounded to the frame in order to work?

I can't even tell you how much reading I've done over the past few months. I've read Fred's guide and hundreds of other posts and wiki pages on here. I pretty much finish the day with a terrible headache from all the reading I do. I've definitely caught the moped bug.

I don't know if I'm feeling the crusty look. My wife was like, "You spent $50 on that!!?" lol. (edited)

it looks like its meant to be ridden in that condiition!!!!

Haha, I wouldn't have to worry as much about it getting stolen either.

Double Trouble Dan /

A Rideout Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know if I'm feeling the crusty look. My

> wife was like, "You spent $50 on that!!?" lol.

Tell her that the fan cover is worth $50 .

Tail light assembly about the same.

I betting you have to get a flywheel puller and clean/file the points up as well as the magnets , but it will run.

Coil looks great . LOL

gotta love safari's

Looks like that bike drove on one.

Double Trouble Dan Wrote:

> gotta love safari's

> Looks like that bike drove on one.

Haha, that's what I said when I first saw it.

I told my wife that the parts alone are worth way more than what I paid for it. It didn't help my case any. It still looked like a piece of rusty junk in her eyes, lol.

A Rideout Wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I just assumed the

> original coil was probably toast. Does the coil

> have to be grounded to the frame in order to

> work?

yes.

i'd run a wire from the coil mount to the motor to be sure. (ground connected)

that coil wire won't unscrew, 90% sure.

also good chance the stator coil has to connect to frame thru the brake light / switches.

depends on which wiring diagram was used.

post what wires / colors come out of the stator, someone will tell which to ground to the motor to eliminate the brake light circuit.

external HT coils typically don't go bad, clean where it mounts, or borrow a coil from your other ped to test if it's too crusty.

I'll take a look at the wiring configuration when I get home tonight. Off the top of my head, I do know there is a white wire with a ring connector that runs up to the ignition coil mount on the frame. I'm assuming this wire is ground and gets attached to one of the coil mounting screws.

There is also another wire(can't remember color) with a blade connector that connects to the coil itself. I have no idea where the other end of that wire goes, though.

Surprisingly, all the wiring seems to be in really good condition.

Last night I took a quick look at the wiring and here's what I gathered:

There is indeed a white wire with a ring clamp that runs up to the coil mounting bracket. I assume this is a ground wire and should be attached to one of the coil mounting screws. I have no idea where the other end of the wire goes, though.

The blade connector that connects to the coil actually has 2 yellow wires in it. One of the wires runs back to the terminal strip and I'm pretty sure the other one runs to the engine stop/light switch.

The wire colors don't match the Safari wiring diagram which makes it a little tougher to follow.

I cleaned the rust off the coil the best I could but noticed the end that connects to the spark plug is about to break. I'm going to cut that off and replace it with a new spark plug boot. I also, need to replace the mounting screws.

Hopefully, I can find some time this wknd to work on it.

1013161915.jpg
1013161913a.jpg

Smiley Vyrus /

Easiest way to check for spark once you've trimmed the spark plug wire and replace the boot is, red from stator plate to your coil. Ground the blue, and black wire to the frame. Pull your your plug while in the boot, and rest it on the cylinder head. Turn the motor over, or turn fly wheel. Plug should spark. If not clean your points. I use hemostats with a piece of sand paper. Run it through your contacts a few times. Then run a clean piece of paper, or a dollar bill old school with best result. Don't ask me why. It works best to remove debris that you have sanded between the contact points. Turn your motor over with plug resting against head, and you should have spark. If not repeat the process. I've had to repeat this process up to 3 or 4 time before. Don't just give up first try, points can be stubborn some times. Corrosion, grease, oil, particulates will keep them from working. Good luck, find your spark then worry about the wiring.

yea, those colors don't match.

the blue to the 2 white should be to the brake light / switches.

those are the ones you want to ground to the motor for testing.

if the yellow is to the coil, that makes red the horn / light feed, ignore it.

if you can spot the wire color behind the flywheel that connects to the condenser, it proves it's the coil feed.

it may also connect to the points.

if you're able / interested in simple continuity testing, pm me.

^this is technically correct but with a bike so rusty you'll have to assume that all the wiring needs to be replaced and the grounds sanded.

Black = lights/ horn

Red = ignition

Blue = ground

You should know you've got a real project on your hands. if you're not sure how an HT Coil works (not the ignition coil) then it may be too big a project. Not tryin to be discouraging but it'll take years to build up the knowledge needed to make this run well again.

Well, I had minimal luck over the wknd. I ended up going to 4 different stores before I found one that sold individual replacement spark plug boots. I installed the new spark plug boot and managed to clean nearly all the rust off of the coil. The head of one of the coil mounting bolts was stripped and I ended spending more time than I care to admit trying to loosen the nut. The head of the bolt was impossible to get at since it's sandwiched between the frame and the welded on mounting bracket. I eventually ended up cutting the nut off of the bolt.

Once the coil was installed, I attempted to check for spark by pedaling it but my clutch cable was too loose and I couldn't get the clutch to engage. At that point, I had used up all my allotted play time and had things my wife wanted me to do.

If I can find some time over the next few day, I'm going to try Smiley's method.

The terms HT Coil and Ignition Coil seem to get thrown around rather interchangeably. While searching Treats, I came across several coils that were called ignition coils in the title but were referred to as HT coils and ignition coils within the same description. To make matters more confusing, the MA wiki definition for Ignition Coil shows images that closely resemble the coil that I had a question on. In fact, the MA wiki doesn't even define HT Coil. The Minarelli service manual also refers to it as "Coil External High Voltage for Ignition" so you can see why I was lead to believe the part was called an Ignition Coil. I have a basic understanding of how the two work and now I know their proper names.

As far as the wiring goes, I plan on doing a continuity test on as many of the wires as I can. If I decide to strip the bike down to the frame then I'll just rewire it. In one of my previous reply's, I posted pics of my wiring. For some reason, the wire colors do not match the Safari wiring diagram.

Magneto--->Black--->terminal strip--->Red--->horn

Magneto--->Blue--->terminal strip--->White(qty 2)--->tail light/switch

Magneto--->Red--->terminal strip--->Yellow--->ht coil

It might take years to build up the knowledge required for a project like this but I gotta start somewhere. With the help of folks like you and the MA wiki, I'm confident that I can figure out how to get this thing running. After all, I taught myself how to build a computer at the age of 10, lol. With a kid on the way and a never-ending list of house projects, my biggest hurdle is finding the time to work on it.

ht coil is the secondary coil connected to the spark plug. The primary ignition coil is under the flywheel. Take your spark plug out of the head so you can turn the motor easier. Unscrew the spark plug wire from the ht coil and cut 1/4" off it and screw it back in. Then cut off the the other end off the plug wire and position it next to the head and kick it and see of the bare wire end throws sparks. You got a bargain, that is sweet. Mine didn't come with a ht coil, so I put a Bosch one off a puch and it works fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account