Yamaha Champ LC50

Charlie Cofer /

I am posting this so people may refer to it for information regarding the yamaha LC50 (Champ) so they can learn from my mistakes and also learn some fun facts I learned about the cute lil LC50

I bought a yamaha champ off of craigslist not knowing a damn thing about it, I figured it was like other mopeds and I could find a video on youtube about how to rebuild it or some shit, WRONG! there aint shit on the internet about these things, I DID find some articles here and there but most of my information I got directly from Myrons Mopeds

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1981-Buyers-Guide-p69.jpg

I also Found this blog which also has SOME useful information on the LC50

http://yamahalc50.blogspot.com/

so This is what I bought

IMG_4780.JPG

I immediately stripped it down and starting looking for parts, NOPE no parts to be found the lonely LC50. I started doing research and came to the conclusion the LC50 was designed and engineered by a bunch of coked out kids at Yamaha using spare parts from the QT50 and Chappy

It has the exact same wiring and driveshaft as the QT50 and the same 2 speed automatic engine as the Chappy. The following is a guide of some sorts of what CAN and CANNOT be used while restoring this guy

It CAN use the same Shock as the QT50

It CANNOT use the QT50 crank

It CANNOT use the Chappy crank

It CAN use the same CDI magneto as the QT50

It CAN use the same left and right side crank seals as the QT50

It CAN use the same gasket set at the Yamaha Stinger and QT50

It CANNOT use any Chappy Intakes

It CAN use any QT50 intakes

It CANNOT use QT50 brake cables

It CAN use the Oil pump block off plate made for the QT50

It CAN use any kit intended for the QT50 however it should be noted that you must use a dome sort of head or the old stock one or the piston will hit the sparkplug

Crankshaft

The only part of the LC50 champ that it doesnt share with either the chappy or the QT50, the chappy crank is too long and has a different groove in it and the QT50 was made for a one speed so its not long enough, NEITHER ONE WORKS! TRUST ME! LOL

I found one on ebay here :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-YAMAHA-LC50-CHAMP-MOPED-YM287-ENGINE-CRANKSHAFT-CRANK-SHAFT-/231305380681?hash=item35dae00349:g:GDcAAOSwxCxT179G&vxp=mtr

Intake

If you decide to go with the MLM QT50 intake like I did you will have to hack and weld so that it sits straight back and at a angle. The frame of the LC50 is sturdier and uses 2 tubes instead of 1 like the QT50 so if you leave the angled intake as is it the frame will sit right on top of the Carb and push it sideways...causing the float bowl to be utterly useless..it will leak everywhere and wont idle....trust me

Exhaust

I couldnt find shit when it came to pipes for the LC50 so ended up buying a QT50 one, IT DOES WORK HOWEVER since the qt50 sits higher then the LC50 the pipe will be extremely close to the ground and will hit when making sharp right turns. I would just use the stock one but mine was trashed and clogged from sitting outside for 2 years..thanks previous owner

Tires and Inner tubes

the champ has a 10" wheel that is 3.50 wide, I found inner tubes at a local cheap import scooter store as far as tires i found these sweet offroad one that look pretty beastly on it

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-421-mini-bike-trail-motorcycle-tire?gclid=CjwKEAiAjIbBBRCitNvJ1o257WESJADpoUt0IWXiwfwH-Bi7So7h7cUWu9HWVZv9USM26vmoGR69mBoC6Abw_wcB

Chappy tires are 8"... i didnt try to make them fit..dont really suggest it either

Driveshaft

It uses the SAME driveshaft as the QT50, Mine was doodoo so ended up having to find a new one. I found out it also shares the same type of driveshaft as the Yamaha stinger, which is a few inches longer and when used on the LC50 it streches it out and makes it look a little more badass in my opinion

Shout out to Dos Cycles for hooking me up with the Stinger parts!!

I really am not an expert on this moped and im not going to pretend to be, I couldnt find alot of information on this lil guy so i decided to make a post about that people could search for on the forum and use as a parts buying guide more or less(edited)

Re: Yamaha Champ LC50

Charlie Cofer /

MLM intake hacked, bent and welded so that the carb sits correctly on it

IMG_4890.JPG

dude, i am redoing my camp right now. i love you so much for posting this. i was going to give myself an ulcer buying all the wrong shit. lol I am thinking of modding it with a yt60 top end and a pigger carb. we should make a wiki page for the champ. we need more info on this bike available.

Charlie Cofer /

Yeah im pretty sure I did get an ulcer buying shit I dont need for it. PM me if you have any questions

thats the exact same kit I put on mine!

get the domed head and put a blue shim on it!

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=qt50-head-version-5

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=plug-index-washers-14-1106

Champ LC50 exhaust

punkrock randy /

I know its been awhile since you posted on this, but Im curious about trying the MLM next level pipe exhaust on my recently acquired Champ. I can see that the MLM peoples pipe for QT50 dips down a bit, causing clearance issues like u mentioned for LC50. But next level stock looks like it stays tighter to motor. Any experience or advice on this is much appreciated, Andy

Re: Champ LC50 exhaust

Any update on a pipe that fits a Champ? I wanted to buy a MLM People's pipe but wanted to know if it fits. I tried a first gen Next Gen MLM pipe but it didn't fit well. I could make it fit with some adjustments but its on my QT again.

Jack Rutherford /

briggslite is back in the game!

Re: Champ LC50 exhaust

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Mark B****** Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Any update on a pipe that fits a Champ? I wanted to buy a MLM People's

> pipe but wanted to know if it fits. I tried a first gen Next Gen MLM

> pipe but it didn't fit well. I could make it fit with some adjustments

> but its on my QT again.

It's a pretty standard flange setup, welding up any ole pipe should be easy

punkrock randy /

MLM next level won’t bolt up, didn’t figure it would. To get it on I’ll hafta grind down the bottom exhaust mount, as the muff body bumps into it. Also going to need to cut and move mounting flange on exhaust , it is too far forward to hit top exhaust mounting hole. Put it on hold till I get around a welder:-/

3675E911-E99E-49C6-8D72-B5F1CF99D5A3.jpeg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Useful info^^^, as i was considering buying one for my champ.

punkrock randy /

I’m trying to get an aftermarket air filter for this champ. Stock carburetor flange appears to be 1”, or about 25mm. All filters I’ve seen are a bit larger. 28mm up to like 60mm with one manufacturer. What am I missing? Would 28mm be close enough for 25mm carb flange?

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’m trying to get an aftermarket air filter for this champ. Stock

> carburetor flange appears to be 1”, or about 25mm. All filters I’ve seen

> are a bit larger. 28mm up to like 60mm with one manufacturer. What am I

> missing? Would 28mm be close enough for 25mm carb flange?

I would bet yes

Jack Rutherford /

25mm is out there. thats what stock carb on express or urban takes

punkrock randy /

Thanks guys, also, any suggestions on a carb upgrade? Not sure what to go with, stock piston, and hopefully better flowing MLM next level pipe once I get that fitted. So mostly stock, though I’d like to suss out fabbing a better intake. Nobody makes shit for these lil badasses:-(

A0873FBD-A64A-4172-94D8-A20EBDCCD9D9.jpeg

SHA Carb fits right onto the stock intake with no plastic shim, just did it with mine. Maybe go with a 15:15?

A 14 phva would also be a good choice, mount it with rubber hose.

Also if you don't mind, can i get a peek at your wiring harness, specifically down by the battery and coming off the stator?

punkrock randy /

Lemme know if these help or not

56A531FC-1351-4861-8216-1B92F0245EA1.jpeg
930A9616-0C67-46F5-BC1D-8BF805BD696E.jpeg
35ED27A2-6EAC-4EE8-8A10-00989BC42AEA.jpeg

Good info here.

Story checks out too.

Coke was very popular in the eighties.

« Go to Topic — end of thread