Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Finally got my Garelli back together and I'm having an issue with an oil leak.

I've traced the leak back to the vent on top of the tranny case as seen in photo.

So, is it normal for the NOI to puke oil out the vent??

Is this happening because I've exceeded the design limits of the vent by running it 45 mph??

...or worse yet, is this an indication that my tranny is being pressurized from a leaking crankcase seal/gasket?

13.5 ounces of ND 30 weight oil is what I used.

It seems to start and run well (edited)

20170415_172946.jpg

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

It's definitely not normal. Did you fill the oil until it just started to weep out the the check level screw hole?

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Is it pushing the gasket out? I dont see the leak....

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's definitely not normal. Did you fill the oil

> until it just started to weep out the the check

> level screw hole?

No instead I followed the book which said 13.5 ounces of oil. Filled it with motor on its side on bench.

New gaskets and seals but I did not pressure check the crank case.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Rich Condor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it pushing the gasket out? I dont see the

> leak....

No, I wiped up the oil before pic.

Put an 8" drain hose on the vent nipple and it's pushing the oil out the end of the hose now.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's definitely not normal. Did you fill the oil

> until it just started to weep out the the check

> level screw hole?

Just now checked on center stand Larry.

The oil level is just below the fill hole. I have to tip the bike to that side before any oil seeps out.

I'm gonna make an intake and exhaust block off plate and pressure test with compression tester hose screwed into plug hole and connected to compressed air line. So now I need to find out how many psi to dial up on my regulator.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

i can eat off that noi.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

OK so the motor holds 16 Hg of vacuum indefinitely....over 20 minutes.

Holding 10 psi for 20 minutes.

Why am I blowing oil out the trans vent?

Is there some sort of baffle inside I may be missing??

Keep in mind this thing is running around 45 with stock gearing(2-speed). 70cc kit 15/15 and a side bleed. Am I spinning the trans to fast or hard blasting wide open???

Larry how fast you running yours down the road??

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My Garellis are all stock. The fastest they go is 35 mph. Regardless, you shouldn't be having tranny oil blowing out that pressure relief fitting.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Pacer Racer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK so the motor holds 16 Hg of vacuum

> indefinitely....over 20 minutes.

> Holding 10 psi for 20 minutes.

> Why am I blowing oil out the trans vent?

> Is there some sort of baffle inside I may be

> missing??

> Keep in mind this thing is running around 45 with

> stock gearing(2-speed). 70cc kit 15/15 and a side

> bleed. Am I spinning the trans to fast or hard

> blasting wide open???

>

> Larry how fast you running yours down the road??

Garellis are pretty powerful from the factory usually, you'd think the trans would be able to handle it. A bit of a dribble here and there I would say is normal, but yeah there should never be oil just pouring out of there

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you?,

Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My Garellis are all stock. The fastest they go is

> 35 mph. Regardless, you shouldn't be having tranny

> oil blowing out that pressure relief fitting.

I agree, but why is it happening???

At this point all I can do is install a catch can and run a hose to it from the vent.

The oil level is slightly below the fill hole.

I have a feeling that this was happening before my rebuild and I assumed it was an output shaft seal leaking. That's what I thought this time too until I traced it down to the vent just above the seal.

Thanks for your input Larry.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Jason Grimm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pacer Racer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > OK so the motor holds 16 Hg of vacuum

> > indefinitely....over 20 minutes.

> > Holding 10 psi for 20 minutes.

> > Why am I blowing oil out the trans vent?

> > Is there some sort of baffle inside I may be

> > missing??

> > Keep in mind this thing is running around 45

> with

> > stock gearing(2-speed). 70cc kit 15/15 and a

> side

> > bleed. Am I spinning the trans to fast or hard

> > blasting wide open???

> >

> > Larry how fast you running yours down the

> road??

>

> Garellis are pretty powerful from the factory

> usually, you'd think the trans would be able to

> handle it. A bit of a dribble here and there I

> would say is normal, but yeah there should never

> be oil just pouring out of there

Ive applied vacuum and pressure to the crank case and detected NO leaks after watching the readings for 20 minutes plus. The motor screams on top end and pulls good too. My plug says I'm a bit fat and a bit oily.

Surely this has happened to someone else before.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Mine gets surface wetness there if I run it hard for long periods of time. It mostly does it when the engine gets hot. Like really hot.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Stephen Simmons Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mine gets surface wetness there if I run it hard

> for long periods of time. It mostly does it when

> the engine gets hot. Like really hot.

Hey whats up??

You're not running a 2 speed so there's that to consider too. Maybe the extra gears and clutch??

I'm barely hitting 400 degrees when I crank it wide open for a half mile or more. As soon as I slow down the temp drops immediately.

I would estimate that after 15 miles of beating on it across town and back it lost about one teaspoon of trans oil as it was running down the right side and off the bottom of the cases. Maybe I ought to keep it @ 30 mph and below and see what happens.

I did the unthinkable and ordered those black pedal cranks from 77 that you recommended. They fit and work well. Had to use a couple of sanding drums on the Dremel to clean the paint out of the holes. The paint chips easily but I like em and the mlm side bleed enough to have em powdercoated.

The mlm sidebleed is a tight fit. Had to oblong all three mounting holes with Dremel and shave some off the hanger bracket next to c.s. spring. Once i did enough grinding it dropped right into place and lined up perfect with the ex port. I touched up the areas with vht spray paint and a q-tip. It fits nice and looks good. It's quieter than the modified stock exhaust I was running and it doesn't really seem to make any more power. That might change though when I slap on something larger than a 15/15 Dellorto or adjust port timing. That said, the pipe grows on you and I'm happy with it and would buy it again. Lmao the growl from the air box almost drowns out the pipe. I'm sure it will get louder with time if its packed. (edited)

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Ya know, I have two NOIs and I don't think I realized that was a vent.

The first NOI I rebuilt kept pooling oil up on top of the case. Gasket looked like yours, and kept coming more and more out the longer I ran it. I thought it was the gasket so did a HondaBond gasket and I haven't had oil pool up there since.

With my luck, I probably sealed the vent in my wake of destruction lol.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ya know, I have two NOIs and I don't think I

> realized that was a vent.

>

> The first NOI I rebuilt kept pooling oil up on top

> of the case. Gasket looked like yours, and kept

> coming more and more out the longer I ran it. I

> thought it was the gasket so did a HondaBond

> gasket and I haven't had oil pool up there since.

>

>

> With my luck, I probably sealed the vent in my

> wake of destruction lol.

Thanks for your experience.

The gasket hasn't really moved but rather was like that putting it together because the bolt holes were off a little. I've since connected a hose to the vent and the oil is coming out of the hose and nowhere else.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Bringing an old thread back to life... Every figure out why this was happening?

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'd venture to guess there is a case leak in the circled section, allowed both pressure and heat to blow oil out.

NOI.JPG

I can't imagine what else would cause heavy trans oil to be forced out of the highest part of the cases.

Re: Hey Garelli owners, has this happened to you??

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'd venture to guess there is a case leak in the circled section,

> allowed both pressure and heat to blow oil out.

>

> I can't imagine what else would cause heavy trans oil to be forced out

> of the highest part of the cases.

There is a good chance of that in my case since the gasket from treats didnt fit worth a shit. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account