1978 Honda nc50 Express no spark

is it true that the tail light needs to be hooked up for that bike to get spark?

also.. if i clip all 4 ignition wires and connect red and black and just leave the black/white kill switch wire taped up , will it start?

the tail light is now clipped off and the headlight is hanging out..

also the battery is dead.. will it start with a super dead battery?

Re: 1978 Honda nc50 Express no spark

can someone help me here?

It will run with no battery but risk blowing bulbs. Tail light does not need to be hooked up, that's French and Italian stuff.

Kevin Bishop /

78 had points right? It will hardly run w/o airbox too

And to the first question, yes it will run with the kill wore disconnected. The red and black only power the lights and horn. The only wire you are worried about is the kill and making sure it is not grounded.

Clean the points and gap them. Those bikes had condenser problems also. Replace the condenser if cleaning the points gives no spark. don-ohio (:^)

Don't rule out a bad spark plug if you have not replaced it. 2-stroke engines are hard on plugs due to heat and break down the plugs insulator internally.

I just went through this.

Don Ohio Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Clean the points and gap them. Those bikes had

> condenser problems also. Replace the condenser if

> cleaning the points gives no spark. don-ohio (:^)

Really??

First I've ever heard of this.

I'm still rocking the original 37 year old condenser on mine.

In fact they should have less problems than 95% of all other mopeds/nopeds.

The condenser is under the seat away from the excessive heat of the motor that destroys them.

Are you sure you're thinking of the correct application? ?

20170502_140459.jpg

Yes,I might be wrong, since ir's been years since I moderated an Express Forum for Zippy.

But here's a video of an Express with a bad condenser, NOT mounted under the seat. I hope the link works?

don-ohio (:^)

So certain years did not have the condenser under the seat?

Yes, I think certain years were different. But in fairness,I checked 15 pages of that forum last night and condenser was only mentioned once. don-ohio

ok... I should be able so solve this as i have 3 other bikes. 2 other expresses.. in this case i was trying to start it without hooking the ignition key back up ( i have a new 4 wire ignition key i will wire in ) i was also trying to start it with out the airbox off ( i have all airbox parts and will try now put it on ) i was also trying to start it with a broken carb topset which is now fixed ( so throttle was not working properly.. alll be it - i was puting gas right into the spark plug hole and still no running.. so i assumed no spark.. if it was getting spark with gas in there the engine would run for a bit.. maybe spark plug is fried? i will also put a new plug in..

if gas is in spark plug hole and no reaction i assume no spark???

Depends on the amount of gas. You can easily check for spark by sticking a plug in the boot and laying it on the head and kicking it over.

DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Depends on the amount of gas. You can easily check

> for spark by sticking your tongue in the boot and

> holding on to the head while kicking it over.

Thanks for clarifying, that is what I meant.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Why not connect things back together and fix the broken stuff first, then... I just don't understand what the hell is going on here.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Why not connect things back together and fix the

> broken stuff first, then... I just don't

> understand what the hell is going on here.

Kids now days have their own system.

I have a 78 express and I’m looking for a ignition coil since mine doesn’t have it and I don’t know what kind of coil I need can someone send me a link or a part number for ignition coils that work with 1978 express. That would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Rutherford /

Thank you

Jason Majernik /

I have a 1980 express that I bought this coil for. Does yellow go to the black/white wire (that’s connected to the original coil) and does the ground mount on one of the holes on the metal frame of this coil? I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks.

Jack Rutherford /

this may help

Jason Majernik /

Thanks. I’ve seen this video before. The coil from treats tar is suggested above only has a yellow wire, so it sure seems as though it should attach to the black/white wire that (your guess in this video is correct) comes from the stator. I will have to mount the green (ground) to the new coil frame. I’ll probably do this with an eye connecter on the green wire and bolt it on to the new coil frame. There seems to be a hole in the coil frame to accomplish this. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you for the reply! It means a lot to me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account