Relining Tomos Clutch's Rubberized Cork

todd amundson /

Relining Tomos Clutch's Rubberized Cork

This is my first attempt at relining clutch shoes on a tomos. I've heard so many different techniques on how to do this but wanted to give it a try using plain OG gorilla glue and rubberized cork. Damn that crap was tough to find in a 3/32 thickness. I sanded the shoes and cleaned the surface. Glued the strips down and clamped them as stated in the wiki. Just kept it simple. Anyone else use rubberized cork before?

IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG

Re: Relining Tomos Clutch's Rubberized Cork

exactly how i do em kinda, been working for my tomososs'ss kitted and stock, mid way on my second pack of cork, with no issues, i forget if its 3/32 or 1/8 in but my local napa carries it.

one slightly wider long strip ,slightly annoying cuz its 2mm short of making the full round, moist slightly with a wad of paper( to activate glue?) spread on cork side and attach firmly.

its cool how it foams, taper ends trim excess, sand and slot don't know why but why not...red springs now why not. balance clutch bell why not

todd amundson /

Made some more progress today. I didn't need to sand or skim the 3/32" cork rubber at all in order to fit in the bell. The spacing is right on. I did ramp the ends of the cork however. I'll install shortly and see how they hold up.

IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG

i must be using the 1/8" gotta sand mines

Hah - I did this too. But I had to glue 2 layers on top of each other

todd amundson /

Mike, What type of glue are you using? Most swear by JB Weld or Super Glues. I really wanna see how this plain old gorilla glue works.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I would advise against using hose clamps.......dont know why everyone thinks theyre a good idea. By the time you get the hose clamp to conform to thew curved surfaces, it is way too tight. You dont want to squeeze all the epoxy or glue out. A few rubber bands are perfect.

Also, why didnt you cover the whole shoe with cork?

pict of mines

20170208_144122.jpg

hose clamp is good, where ever it isnt' tight enough i use toothpicks or little wedges

if the original cork failed, the glued on replacement cork will too.

that clutch bell reminds me of when I took every gear from my tomos transmission and balanced it with a model airplane propeller balancer. what a mess.

Dave Thacker /

Todd, would you please update this with how it worked for you and what if anything you'd do differently.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Once the cork pads are stuck on, soak them in super glue. Make sure the pads soak up the super glue thoroughly and evenly throughout the pad. I know it sounds stupid, but super glue soaked pads were the longest lasting I ever had in a tomos. I never used clamps or rubber bands while the glue dried. The super glue dries fast enough so you can just hold the pad to the shoe with your hand for a few minutes.

For stock it's alright as far as kitted goes my bike will eat that lining up in one pass around the block. I use kevlar been 5 years now on the same lining. I tried all different kinds of materials.

Gorilla glue is hydrophilic so you should soak the cork in water before applying, it adheres to the cork much better.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account