Motobecane 50V Rear Shocks

Tony Fernandez /

Does anyone know the size of the stock shocks on the 50V.....I'm trying

to order new ones and cant seem to get it right......any suggestions?

Re: Motobecane 50V Rear Shocks

300mm

Tony Fernandez /

Ok thanks

Adam Margovic /

Depending on which ones you buy, you may need some spacers (to hold a wider shock away from the frame) and longer bolts. If you buy them from Treats, they sell some eyelet spacers via links in the page for the shocks.

Just wanted to give you a heads up so that you don't get them home, run out to the garage excited, and realize they won't simply bolt on. A simple trip to the hardware store can also remedy this!

which size should i buy if im heavier.......say 250lbs? i bottom out from time to time with the stock ones

You just need stiffer shocks... if you increase the length, the chain will hit the top of the swing arm.

Dan (LandLordsMG/PSVMC) /

DC Breaux, if you get any of those standard adjustable shocks from treats, they will be stiff enough to prevent you from bottoming out.

The stock moby shocks are extremely soft

There are handful of these threads that just end, so figured no need to open a new one.

@210lbs I bottom out all the time on stock shocks.

I got the generic treat coil overs at 280mm to match the original length, and

cut my own 8/10mm bushing/insert to go the width of the shock + washer + 5mm spacer.

IMG_4556.jpg

I have minimal 1mm clearance to the frame, but this just looks dodgy to me.

IMG_4551.jpg

I want to avoid doing anything non-reversable. (like drilling out to M10)

Top:

M8-1.25 60mm bolt

custom 8/10mm insert

5mm wide, 10mm bore sleeve bearing as spacer

M10 & M8 Washers separating it all:

Bottom

M8-1.0 45mm bolt

original 5mm spacer

original M8-1.0 bolt.

M10 & M8 Washers separating it all

IMG_4546.jpg

Clearance is tight on the right side with the freewheel. Thoughts? Please show me your 50V rear shock upgrades

thanks (edited)

Maybe find a set from the Le Moped model? They had external coils, I might have a set, will look when I get home.

thanks, I was hoping somebody has done this already. Has anyone upgraded Moby 50 rears using standard mount points?? pics please.

Sold my coil overs with my 50v, sorry, but look for Le-moped issue ones, they should fit and be stiffer? I never mounted them. Only difference is the Le-moped had the 51 frame and upper mounts were closer to seat post than 50v models, your upper mounts do look sketchy.

thanks for checking Stephen-

Here is the parts diagram comparing the standard (L) to the VLX shock (R). Big spacers used on VLX too (# 11&12).

ScreenShot2020-06-26at1.17.43PM.png

Also a pic of a Puch.

ScreenShot2020-06-27at9.13.30AM.png

not the same, but got me thinking.

Still love to hear from other Moby 50 owners who have upgraded the rears! Thanks~ (edited)

vlx has a different frame than Le Moped, but yes I see what you mean, worth a shot I guess.

Pushrod Fifty /

The top nuts are a bitch to get at behind the fender unless you remove the wheel. I taped the nut and washer to an open end wrench to hold them in position.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account