Vespa Ciao/ Peugeot 103 home made pull start

So I'm trying to solve a problem I'm having with my ciao not engauging when I pedal and ran into a video where some guy put in a pulley on his variator and used a pull start riope and bam it started. Here's the link

Didn't work on mine, maybe I need a longer rooe cause I have to roll my ciao down a hill to get it to start. It did how ever get the spark plug to spark when I had it out, I wonder if I can put the same concept on my 103 since the nut has an extra space to put a bolt on. The piece in the pic is from a Vespa variator cheek and would seem to fit snug.

IMG_2213.JPG

Re: Vespa Ciao/ Peugeot 103 home made pull start

If anyone's from the SF Bay Area that can help me with my ciao problem please hit me up.

Jimmy Cauchon /

Cheetah makes a pull start. Get one at treatsland superstore. It is made well: quality

I just put/made a pull start for my honda express, which is much more difficult because the magneto had to spin counterclockwise to start and nearly all pull starts are made to pull clockwise. There are a lot of pull starts that would work on your bike. But you need to do some fabricating. As someone just mentioned Treats has a lot of really good ones if you can afford them.

But I would recommend that you figure out why your bike is starting so poorly first before investing the time in putting pull start on it.

The other question I have for you is why isn't your pedal start working? Fix that first.

Good Luck

JAM

Great Video!!

I'm not sure, when I pedal it feels like its in bike mode and doesn't spin the front variator. I've replaced the starter clutch pads and springs, the contra spring. I tried adjusting the engine forward to see if tightening it might help; but it actually didn't. It has a new belt so that's not the problem. I'm not going to invest in the pulley unless its definitely going to help, I was just thinking about it because it will directly spin the variator.

Flip the starter shoes?

ditto just flip the shoe and try...

Dirty30 Dillon /

Did you ever pull the tran cover off and check that the return spring is even in there.

Haven't taken that off yet, but will it start on a down hill if that spring isn't there?

Here's the starter clutch, I've replaced them since this picture was taken and I installed them the same way.

IMG_2174.JPG

Ciao Time Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here's the starter clutch, I've replaced them

> since this picture was taken and I installed them

> the same way.

They look backwards to me...flip and try again

Ok I'll try it.

Wait his is a single speed.

Problem solved my babies up and running! Thank you everyone!

It would be nice if you told everybody your findings as to the cause of your problem. Or is it a big secret.

This is a repair forum to share information.

I noticed excessive rust on the clutch bell housing so I let it sit over night in some vinegar and cleaned off the rust in the morning. I regressed the point where the starter clutch goes on as well I re installed the new starter clutch pads and springs I got from treats and it started.

Great job.

Valentin Mishu /

https://we.tl/t-3LzKvj3vn6

... i try pads on both sides , try increase the weight of them clean them with sandpaper diluant ...nothing nothing

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account