Veglia speedo repair

1504746996347285911469.jpg
15047469426261781836275.jpg
15047466106031347537091.jpg

Ok so I have searched and cannot find a description how this veglia speed works. This much I know:

1. The speedo drive spins the metal disk

2 via some magnetic magic the pie plate shaped disc on the back of the speedo needle/ mph markings rotates up to 180 degrees with the needle then pointing to the speed.

But how the two halves work together is a bit mystifying.

Anybody with understanding of how this works and why it stopped working when all looks ok?

Re: Veglia speedo repair

Did you ever figure this out? I have a non-working veglia speedometer as well.. any insights would be much appreciated.

Disk on needle part should spin freely with needle, if that works then ensure that the speedo cable spins the bottom disk properly, they often seize up. If both of those work make sure they're screwed together tight. Not like "break something" tight but tight tight, ya dig

Marc Friedman /

See someone knows how it works. Now can I locate the original problem baby ?

So you didn't really address my 2 points, can you spin both disks by hand?

If yes, does spinning the speedo side disk cause the needle to move? If no that's your problem.

If yes, does spinning the cable side disk cause the part that receives the throttle cable to spin? If no, that's your problem.

If yes to both, make sure they are mated together tight and spin a speedo cable in a drill attached to the speedo to confirm needle moves.

Nick I think you are confusing Marc for me, lol. I found that the problem was in the actual odometer, not at the end connected to the wheel and not any problem with housing or cable. The part where the cable enters the odometer was stuck and would not spin.

I got into the odometer (so cool!) and put some WD-40 into the problem part and after lots of wiggling I have it moving freely again! The hardest part was opening the odometer...

Marc, I am still sort of confused about the magnet magic as well... but from what I understand, the magnet spins; it's magnetic field makes a disk connected to the needle start to spin as well. The disc has a spring/coil attached though. That spring fights back against the rotation so the disk doesn't just spin in circles... It only spins as far as the balance between the force of the spinning magnet and the spring pushing the other direction.

Hopefully there is a better explanation somewhere else but this is what I read... https://www.howacarworks.com/accessories/how-a-speedo-works

Shit you're right my bad, too many Marc(o)s here lol. Glad to hear you got it going!

> Marc, I am still sort of confused about the magnet magic as well... but

> from what I understand, the magnet spins; it's magnetic field makes a

> disk connected to the needle start to spin as well. The disc has a

> spring/coil attached though. That spring fights back against the

> rotation so the disk doesn't just spin in circles... It only spins as

> far as the balance between the force of the spinning magnet and the

> spring pushing the other direction.

Almost, the rotation of the magnet doesn't necessarily cause the disk to spin per se. It causes a magnetic field to be created that exerts a force in a certain direction. It uses the same electromagnetic principles as a stator/flywheel but instead of current you set it up for the tiny force generated to act upon that disk and rotate/hold it. The faster you go, the faster you spin the magnet, the greater the amplitude that force is and the further the needle moves.

So that electromagnetic force is applying a torque to the disk that the speedometer needle is attached to, and that electromagnetic force is balanced against the spring tension to create a pretty decent estimate for how fast you're going. Pretty cool shit.

(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account