Are You There God, It's Me, Kevin?

KEVIN VAN HALEN /

What's happening here?

Mid-nineties A35, drip drip drip. Very little spots after sitting for hours, but now consistently happening.

(Pardon the Judy Blume reference)

IMG_7043.JPG

Re: Are You There God, It's Me, Kevin?

Oil injection tube leaking?

Do any work on it recently? Perhaps one of the gaskets was damaged or not replaced properly?

Maybe a seal leaking ?

KEVIN VAN HALEN /

I haven't done any work on that side of it. (I've pulled the carb for a cleaning, but didn't mess up any gaskets). The work I did was over two weeks ago and the drip just started three days ago. I guess my main concern is: am I risking effing up the motor if I'm running this thing in the meantime? It's my sole source of transportation.

Charles McCusker /

as long as you keep oil in it, it shouldn't be a problem i would think but obviously you want to isolate where the leak is coming from, could be something simple. My wifes pacer when it got hot was leaking out the clutch cover on her M1. Simple fix with a new gasket.

Maybe you over lubed your chain ?

You need to clean your air intake system. I could be dirty and restricted causing the carb to suck up more gas into the mouth that will be used by the motor. Some of that blubbers back into the air cleaner box or whatever and it slowly leaks out all thick like that.

PS. I have never had a A35(edited)

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

We all have different levels of clean, however my opinion is, if it's real clean it's easier to spot where leaks n such are coming from. Mopeds are pretty easy to keep clean.

Oil injection.clutch cover or front sprocket.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Looks like standard ole output shaft seal leak, pooling behind cover than dripping slowly

Are your chain and rear tire wet?

KEVIN VAN HALEN /

Dirty30 - the chain is definitely wet - the rear tire is fine, although i have noticed the wheel itself and the back license plate are covered in spots probably from it splashing onto it while running. it's gotten much worse since i posted two days ago. guess it's time to take it apart. It's all completely isolated to the left side (chain side) of bike, if that helps anyone narrow it down.

IMG_7052.JPG
IMG_7051.JPG

todd amundson /

It's pretty obvious what this is from.

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/2008/08/tomos-trans-oil-leak/

While not A35 specific, most of the Tomos brand motors suffer the black wheel of death.

KEVIN VAN HALEN /

nudebowl, thanks that's clearly what it is - I just hope "the black wheel of death" doesn't mean it's all over for my precious beloved A35.

spudley, i appreesh the linkage. i'm gonna buy that 20 dollar nut and hope for the best.

Much like the Margaret referenced in the title, your bike has contracted the clap. Add some cefixime next time you refuel.

theres a write up on the black wheel, id order another seal for that side(big) as well and slobbler motoseal all over.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

if your motor mounts are loose for a prolonged period of time, the rear motor mount snaps off the case exposing the main drive gear kicking up the tranny fluid when you drive. thats worst case scenario....

so GOd is there..

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

but huwat about this cute couple?

https://www.treatland.tv/tomos-UPGRADE-M22-nut-for-front-sprocket-with-seal-p/tomos-m22-nut-n-seal-234388.htm

oh it's already been posted

<.<

shit(edited)

Find myself fish tailing when making left turns if I don’t wipe the left side of the rear wheel every couple of day. I’ve also noticed that the sealed nut I purchased comes lose after riding (2 weeks). Kind of tempted to put loctite on it along with redoing some type of makeshift gasket seal on both sides of the front sprocket. But who knows, no ones cracked the code in keeping the juices inside. I think it is related to the main Shaft assembly washer warping or it just being the wrong size. The only one treats claims to sell is for the a35, though tempted to buy and try to see if it slows the leaking down.

Anthony Vargas /

Aw man I was hoping to find a fix here and seems like everyone hasn’t been able to fix this issue , I replaced the seal and also got the upgraded m22 nut aswel but somehow it’s still leaking ...might just paint my wheels black

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account