Can someone tell me if my za50 2nd speed clutch is flipped or not?

So I get the appeal of flipping the 2nd speed clutch but I dug around on here, and youtube and can't find a sure visual on what "normal" or "flipped" looks like (wondering if mine was already flipped or not when I got in there). I have the handy za50 exploded diagram but I can't tell from that which way is which? I'm probably missing something obvious, but can someone on here visually tell me what mine is currently? Figured this many help others in the same boat.

So is this normal or flipped? Thanks in advance all,

2nd speed clutch.JPG

Re: Can someone tell me if my za50 2nd speed clutch is flipped or not?

Its right there in the wiki:

Reading it describes how to tell.

Your clutch is not flipped.

za50 info including flipped clutch.

I've read through every word of that za50 wiki many times, and greatly appreciate all the info there. I just couldn't make complete sense of what it meant in reference to which side was which with "springs" etc and kept questioning if I had it right. I'm learning as I go and not the most mechanically inclined but wanted to be 100% sure so thank you for telling me where mine is at.

Did you see the spring?

Yours is not exposed.

If you pull it off and lool on back side you will see it.

Replace your pucks while you are in there too. Its really important.

Check! Already done thanks to many of you on here highlighting the importance. Mine were completely gone. Put Loctite on the screws after install as well.

Now to try and nail this shimming thing...gonna grab a torque wrench, and some plastigage and give it a shot. Found a few helpful guides on here including some heated debates of course...

I mean you dont haaaave to shim it if you're just in there flipping the clutch and use the same thickness of gasket.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I mean you dont haaaave to shim it if you're just in there flipping the

> clutch and use the same thickness of gasket.

Yes you could reuse what ever shims were in it, but... It does not hurt to double check because someone else may have been inside there or because of wear.

Also the original gasket is important too. Too thick or thin and it will throw off measurements. Good on you for doing the pucks.

What does your fill plug look like?

Original plastic ones crumble and fall inside. If thats the case now would be a good time to remove the majority of scraps before putting together. Although the gears will just gind em up.

Right. So I ripped the OG gasket like a dumbass a while ago (I now know how to open it properly). Ordered a new one on treats that claims to be the same thickness, put everything back correctly (I think - I realize now I should have been more careful. I was in there trying to get the bits of my crumbled stopper out which now I WISH for fucks sake I just left alone) and a few weeks later the smaller bearing busted through the clutch side cover. Likely related but maybe not? The retaining nut wouldn't tread back on the shaft and the rollers were all loose when I opened it. So figured there was too much play, maybe from the new gasket or something else I messed up.

So now that I've replaced all the damaged parts (mainshaft, retaining nut, rollers, bearing, cover, plus the pucks), want to make sure I get it back correctly so it won't happen again? It looks like I have all the washers and shims in the diagram, but if I need to add more I'll have to get those, just not sure what size yet.

Anyways, long response not really directly connected to my original question but that's where I'm at. I'm learning a lot as I go, trying to challenge myself to get this figured out and fixed so I can get back on the road.

> What does your fill plug look like?

>

> Original plastic ones crumble and fall inside. If thats the case now

> would be a good time to remove the majority of scraps before putting

> together. Although the gears will just gind em up.

You beat me to it. I got a new plug a while ago, but me getting in there to get the bits out of the old one is what started this mess I think? But yes it's been a good time to get all those bits out.

You really should torque that (left hand threaded) main shaft nut with a torque wrench and holder. If no holder some peeps jam a 10mm 1/4" drive socket between drive sprocket and engine case to keep it from turning.

And yes the gasker from treats is the real deal or at least it was a couple of years ago. I still have mine as I reused the original.(edited)

I always used some of green locitite aka bearing retainer compound. It is like super glue for metal and take up like .015 in some cases. Put it on the inner spline or on the of of the clutch.

HEY so late response (had to put off this project for a while) but question for you or anyone that knows: WHAT are the torque specs for that backwards threaded nut? Or where do I find that info? Looked around a few places and can't seem to find it. Thanks,

Thank you! I had JUST finally found that manual and came to post it - tons of key info there.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

OK so now I just have to find a torque wrench that measures counterclockwise - many of them go that direction but won't "click" and are design to measure just one way - not impossible to find but more $. Anyone else run into this issue? Anyone else run into this issue and have suggestions?

Use an old school, beam type torque wrench. More accurate anyways.

This is exactly the kind of solution I was looking for! Thanks,

« Go to Topic — end of thread