Puch Maxi Idle and arcing

So I am wrapping up my maxi restoration (hopefully) and can't get it to hold an idle for long.

Here are the stats:

-rebuilt w/ super stuffy crank, new bearings and seals

-70cc Treats Kit (chamfered ports, ring gap to spec, no case matching, torqued to spec)

-high flow air filter, biturbo exhaust

-15mm bing clone w/217 atomizer, 82 jet (for break in period), 2nd from top clip

-stock ignition, new plug, timing set to 16 and gap set to .017 w/feeler gauge

Before I put the kit on, I got it to idle fine despite my cheapo harbor freight compression tester telling me that I only had 30PSI (I all but know that's BS). Didn't tune it because I knew I'd be taking off the stock pipe and upgrading the cylinder. It would die after a while but I attributed that to the 15mm intake/carb and a jet that was likely way too rich.

Put on the kit very meticulously and torqued all the cylinder nuts to 7ft/lbs. Now, the bike will start after two or three kicks, however it will only idle for a few minutes at a time, and after the bike warms up it will not idle and is very hard to start. THATS WHEN I NOTICED CONSISTENT ARCING AT IDLE. I bought two new condensers, tested them both individually, they are both functional as caps (mounted outside of the stator). However, I STILL get arcing. Video here:

Despite damn near perfect gap and timing, and cleaning the points with super fine dry/wet sand paper then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, they still arc like a mofo. I should note, I have checked for air leaks countless times and there are none in the usual spots (intake to cylinder, intake to bing, etc) or anywhere. I have new Bosch points on the way and I'm dangerously close to buying a VM20 and new intake.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to get this thing running better than stock. My questions are:

Why are those damn points still arcing???

What is that metallic clinking I hear???

Why do I have to put all my weight (185) on the pedal now to turn over the engine??

Other than vacuum leaks and weak spark, why does my idle die after a few minutes when I unscrew to a nice, mellow idle?

Thanks

Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcing

Also, I screwed the idle screw in to keep the idle high so I could watch the arcing for a while. It can idle much slower, but it eventually dies.

Points arcing? Condensor bad.

Tried all the different recommended condensers and the problem persists.

arcing looks normal to me, i dont like idling air cooled motors. but dying is probably a slightly rich esp w stock exhaust fouling plug. piston rattle, noisy n normal 4 me as well.

Overpriced Parts /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> arcing looks normal to me, i dont like idling air cooled motors. but

> dying is probably a slightly rich esp w stock exhaust fouling plug.

> piston rattle, noisy n normal 4 me as well.

Puch can idle all day if tuned good

Just this summer I rode my magnum XK home, parked in drriveway leaving it running just to get a water bottle but at the same time dinner was being served early so I ate dinner and on setting on easy chair I realized left I My bike running for about 40 minutes in the driveway,

It had no ill affects and plug wasn’t really bad but I cleaned it anyway

Word, thanks. I'll try putting a high 70's jet in there to see if that helps at all.

Ken I have an extra slide lying around so I'll give your mod a shot tomorrow

Laurie Tomkinjson /

did you put the piston in right side up ?

Just this summer I rode my magnum XK home, parked in drriveway leaving it running just to get a water bottle but at the same time dinner was being served early so I ate dinner and on setting on easy chair I realized left I My bike running for about 40 minutes in the driveway,

Ok can everyone see all the holes in Kens fantasy story? Help me dissect his story.

Says He was riding home from someplace and left his bike running to get water? So Ken wasn't actually riding home at all. Who detours their trip just to get a water bottle unless they are in the Arizona desert in July.

Note how he misspells the word "driveway". I think this is significant and holds a hidden desire to come clean from his lie.

Can anyone spot more deceptions in his STORY?

Just the facts please

Not to spoil your fun , cheetah , but , in Ken's defense , he is retired and as such has the right to tell whatever story he wants , in whichever manner . ;)

And , he did spell 'ate' correctly . :D

I do not think it a very good idea to leave any idle un-fanned air cooled motor running for more than a few minutes .

Ok I'll go again.

In his statement Ken eludes that he is just detouring in home to pick up a bottle of water so he did have a pre determined destination other than home. Tell me then why was dinner being served EARLY at that very moment? Did Ken call ahead and inform the cook that he would be popping in for the water on his way to the destination?

Why was the cook serving dinner early? Were their other family members with commitments outside of the house That needed to be feed at an earlier time than normal?

So many questions.

Hmm , retired ... No predetermined destination required , other than just wanting to ride more/longer .

Dinner being ready early ? my cook/wife gets hungry early , sometimes . She gets things ready and as soon as I show , it's only a couple minutes 'til it's on the table .

Call ahead ? Maybe he doesn't even carry a phone . I don't and likely never will .

We do have a cell phone , but , it sits on the kitchen counter , turned OFF , until my wife decides to call her mother , which is about once a month .

As Scholtes would say " I know nothing " , so all the above , except my personal experiences , is simply conjecture / speculation .(edited)

Kens statement "dinner was being served" clearly paints the picture of the surprised cook placing steaming bowls of potatoes and beets on the dining table as Ken came banging in through the screen door..

No, Ken s arrival was not expected as since he also states " so I ate dinner and on setting on easy chair" so there could not have been a place setting for him at the dining table because Ken was not supposed to be there.

Ken has stated in numerous threads that he does indeed carry a cell phone always. He is a traditional man from a traditional background. Of course he carries a phone.

And there is still the matter of the 40 min time frame.

Are you trying to point that he may have crashed a would be secret rendezvous ?

I couldn't believe that .

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I know i’m really late for dinner here, but i have a quick and easy solution to the arcing points issue for those that might stumble on to this thread in the future. You’re welcome.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I know i’m really late for dinner here, but i have a quick and easy

> solution to the arcing points issue for those that might stumble on to

> this thread in the future. You’re welcome.

>

>

Thanks for the grin . Don't like listening to those squeaks and rattles ? Just crank the stereo .

Seriously , best to use a better condenser . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread