1978/79 Columbia open road solo variation

I need to replace the springs on either side of the engine and don’t know what kind they are or where I could get them. As well as pretty much any info on these solo engines.

Re: 1978/79 Columbia open road solo variation

Do you have springs already that are worn? or just nothing and hoping for measurements?

If you've got anything show some pics and measurements, that'd be all you need to find suitable replacements, I don't have an answer though

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I think you have bigger fish to fry, like your belt being inside-out,

I actually got this whole moped fixed at Detroit Moped Works, I haven’t touched anything so far on this moped, and the belt is not inside out, but I would still like to know what kind of springs these are, since you’re the only Solo Authority around here. As well as, 1 what ratio of coolant/water do I replace because the stuff in there has probably never been changed, how can you solve a rusty tank, and what could I do that I don’t have to pull up on the engine in order to start it(edited)

Wait, solos variate? Huh..diddnt know.

Could you post a pic of the spring I'm curious now.

What sucks is that you have a in frame tank... My standard thing is to filler up vinegar for a dayer too. Drain...then fill with nuts n bolts n a little thin oil. Shake-a shake-a, drain repeat a few times.

As for the coolant. It's no critical do whatever.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Have you searched (harvey+columbia), (harvey+open road)?

COOLANT LEVEL IS CRITICAL Measure out and use the exact amount listed in the manuals. More is worse than less.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I1fOTXUg7eDuhRI-DIheW49Gab0AR44i

As for starting, pedal it like a bicycle, get a good head of stem. and pull the starter lever hard and fast. A slightly downhill 20 yard streach, makes it easier.

Not to burst your bubble, but these are the shittiest mopeds ever made. I hope you didn't pay much, and I'd look for something more enjoyable, longer lasting, and better quality.

I could go on, and on, about it's bad engineering, and quality, but if you search, you'll find what I have said.

Just unload it onto the next sucker.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /
« Go to Topic — end of thread