No Start Minarelli V1

So, I have a Minarelli V1 engine on my moped and it wasn't starting. I had fuel, air, and spark, but it just wouldn't turn over. When I tested the compression it was around 85-90 which is really low. I changed the piston rings and all the gaskets and it still isn't running. It doesn't have a clogged exhaust and there isn't any switch that needs to be turned on. Any help is appreciated.

Re: No Start Minarelli V1

Bad connection on the kill/run switch? Burnt out tail light bulb?

It doesn't have a kill switch

Timing correct?

Woodruff key missing?

I've tried adjusting the timing and the woodruff key is very much there.

When you check the compression are holding it wot? 90 psi is low but I have had bikes run with less. Piston in upside down? Are you using the choke? Have you tried using a drill to start it?

What make/model bike is it? Maybe there is a strange quirk with a specific bike. Some minarelli bikes stall without a ceramic resistor in the tail light and the brake light switch(es) engaged. Was it running before?

It is a 1976 Gloria Blanco. It was running before. I took the engine off of it so I could restore the moped and the engine was off for a couple months in running condition. It didn't have any lights before I took it off and it still ran just fine.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> When you check the compression are holding it wot? 90 psi is low but I

> have had bikes run with less. Piston in upside down? Are you using the

> choke? Have you tried using a drill to start it?

The piston isn't in upside down. I made sure of that when I was putting the engine back together. I did multiple trials when i was doing the compression test including having it at wide open throttle and with the choke on. I've also tried all sorts for ways to get it going and did try it with a drill. It won't even start with starting fluid.

Now I'm really interested in your solution as I have a 77 Gloria Blanco that I am about to start working on! I do have the luxury of having a few other bikes with the V1 on them so I could swap the engine onto a working bike to eliminate electrical and fuel issues.

Maybe you borked installing the new rings? Did you gap them?

I didn't, but it should be fine because it has good compression now.

Did you replace the crank seals?

Yep, all the seals and gaskets were replaced.

Andrew Squiggman /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Did you replace the crank seals?

Good one Don. LOL!

What color is the spark? Does it stay consistent as the rpms go up?

The spark is bright blue. It does stay pretty consistent.

The crankshaft transmission side is a bit tricky to install sometimes. Really have make sure you don't force it in. I used a plastic screw driver and ran it around inner lip them press as hard as I could to set it in hole. A video of me installing it would better explain it. Hands on a better way learning.

Is the stator on upside down? Is that possible? Maybe? Seems like you have quite the mystery moped.

Nope, it's not upside down. There's only one way that he wires can go through. I am very confused myself as to why it isn't running.

If a had a ride or a shop to work on it. I would take a look at it as your close. Spark, fuel, compression.

Back to basics....

To run you have to have the following:

Compression, both primary and secondary

Fuel

Spark

Spark timing

You say that it has fuel and spark..... The only other thing could be timing, or possibly primary (i.e. crankcase) compression

Check one thing at a time

Let us know where you are with this.

Mike

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

I've had this happen on a v1, turned out to be a bad condenser. As a rule, I always remove the internal condenser and mount an external. Keep us posted, v1's are solid and we all want you to have a running ped...

try a new plug thats gapped and a few squirts of premix.

Hey! Just curious, how'd this end up working out?

Hope you were able to get your bike up & running again!

derek cuellar /

i have this exact problem. Did you figure yours out?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account