12v cdi kit wiring issues

simon judd /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

hi, I have recently restored a Peugeot 103 and installed a new crate motor, it came with a 12v cdi kit attached but no wiring diagram, the cdi just plugs in which I am fine with and the other wires are kill switch earth and 3 wires from each of the other coils, I am having some issues, I fully rewired the bike and am getting the following problem.

when approaching 30mph the bike starts to stutter like its cutting out, if I turn the lights off the stuttering stops, if I disconnect the lighting coils totally and only have the cdi coil connected it runs fine, if I hold the coil slightly away from the frame I get sparking like a spark plug in time with the firing from the mounting lug which I have not seen before, the coil is a two wire coil earth and live I have checked and rechecked all connections and swapped connections on the lighting coils as I only need to use one of the lighting coils.

I don't have a regulator installed as I only run 12v bulbs back and front and an a/c horn.

I have swapped out the coil, plug cap and cdi and there is no difference.

its like there is not enough power being generated to produce the spark at higher rpm's and the current draw from the light is starving the coil or there is some kind of feedback.

has anyone any ideas re this and does anyone have a color wiring diagram for the cdi pictured (12v)

I have wired this one exactly the same as my other and its now baffling me

thanks in advance

Simon

kit-allumage-peugeot-103-sp-mvl-spx-rcx.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account