ciao cock bung f up tank junk

i know i should just toss it but it be a shame. if anyone done this repair shed some light. missing bung hole is past 1/4 pipe.

1544370696232-372168199.jpg

Re: ciao cock bung f up tank junk

coffe grounds.

15443707660751952903411.jpg

How is the rest of the tank , structurally ?

And , how big is the hole after removing the worst rust ?

well... rest of frame is nice but i do judge a frame by its tank. hole is past 1/4-18 pipe thread size which translates to hmmm 14mm. im looking for a threaded sleeve w two nuts two washers, i think tha'll do it and hopedfully theres not tooo many other holes to patch.

Hmm , maybe just solder a hose barb , with the 'nut' or threaded end ground flat , in place of a petcock .

You'd have to run an inline petcock and filter , but ...

If you have a welder jegs sells the weld in pipe thread bungs.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/16251/10002/-1

Then you could use a 1/4npt valve for the fuel shut off.

^pretty much what i did but figured the braze woulda entailed health issues... burn spots on paint, moving wire, removing engine, etc. etc. So, if anyone runs into this, maybe... helicoil for spark plug is same as 1/2 pipe for brass fitting or close enough, and 10x1.25 tap all goooed epoxied in place(marine stuff is gas resistant),and a cheepy pet cock off fleebay.

1544386346755-372168199.jpg

Good luck getting that to not leak.

Id just run a cross bar and another tani

JB weld states it's permanently fuel resistance if allowed to cure. But in my experience it did not hold 10w-30 in my car's transmission perfectly. It permeated through slowly.

hey pd, i realized u said solder, hmm does regular solder stick to rusty steel? i know it'll stick to brass, but never tried on steel, figured it would just bead up.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> hey pd, i realized u said solder, hmm does regular solder stick to rusty

> steel? i know it'll stick to brass, but never tried on steel, figured it

> would just bead up.

Solder wouldn't stick to rusty steel very well , if at all . But , it does stick real nice to steel that has been brushed clean and fluxed .

You should see the bottom of my XT 350 tank ( steel ) . It's pimpled with solder repairs .

I just put a wire wheel in the drill and polish the spot needing sealed . Then apply a decent amount of flux , heat the area with a tinned tip and then feed enough solder . If it's clean enough , the solder flattens and maybe drips through . Once the initial solder has a good hold , I back off the heat a little and apply enough solder to fill the hole .

semi success, brass nipple held up, brand new fleabay cock has a leak and tank has leak in center, actually 3 holes, damn.

15444593129171418219102.jpg
my turn at solder repair! i did a quick test.
1544459187398189405864.jpg

You should be able to solder those holes .

There's a 'section' on the bottom of my XT tank that I could easily drop a quarter through without it touching . I soldered that hole and it hasn't leaked in close to 10 years .

so filling the holes w solder/flux/ w heat from big torch n micro torch was useless, kept dropping to the leaky abyss but... i flattened a copper coupler, cut to fit, and after a few heat cycles, a few fluxes, and a few diffent solders i arrived at this!

1544462433183-1091275766.jpg

it passes the soapy water pressurized air test, yay.

That looks like it'll hold just fine . ;)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

wow, good effort man, most people would have given up on a frame like that.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I would 100% give up on that frame.

But if for some reason I couldn't bare to let it go, I would have had the tank vapor blasted and then simply welded any holes that showed up.

The problem with soldering the patch on that tank is that it's part of the frame (on a hardtail no less) and it will bend and vibrate itself loose, right onto the hot motor.

Standalone tanks take solder better because they are typically pretty isolated from structural stress steel-to-steel vibration.

so after messing w the new petcock, teflon tape, and filling w petrol its passes. thanks for the solder method pd. as stated earlier i woulda just tossed the thing or passed it on to some other sucker, woulda been easier, or the ex tank idea, but something posses me to try to save mopeds. hopefully the solder will hold up thru vibrations, solders/copper is soft vibration wise so mechanically wise should hold up. atleast it does pass the 5 min no touchy test, which for me is a cross finger, hold breath, looky look, practice cussing eternity.

anyways, moving on to changing that one crank seal, cleaning points, deleting decomp, cleaning clutch, tires, etc.

this is bull

1544472267630-1153014996.jpg

Pat's solder job looks to be solid . I would expect that to last .

Given it's location , I can't imagine it coming undone without considerable help .

> pat splat Wrote:

> this is bull

I must be missing something . What's bull ?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I thin the floor is saturated with premix? Only clue is some lighter colored concret in the background a few feet from the bike

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> I thin the floor is saturated with premix? Only clue is some lighter

> colored concret in the background a few feet from the bike

Ahh , that may well be . But , where's it coming from ?

bs, small leak in one corner, i gooberred it some more, waiting for results. Che Cavolo!

Dirty30 Dillon /

You're going to continue chasing holes, you should just cut/patch/weld and do it right if you want something that will actually last.

Baron Von Hamilton /

This guy I know used metal screen and sodder to fill in holes. The problem with pinholes is this usually meant the tank is rusted thin in lots of areas and more pinholes wil pop up.

I hope you can patch them good luck.

Any time someone has to weld/braise/solder holes shut i advise them to coat the inside of the tank because what looks nice can still leak, even a tiny tiny leak can be a big mess and a starting point for it to rust out again

I would put JB over the patch then coat inside of tank .

I repaired my A100 tank which had 10 dime size holes in it with this method .

Soldered the holes then 2 coat of JB over them ,followed by 3 layers of Flex Seal . Finished it off with coating the inside of the tank . 2 years now no leak

> BRIAN KAY Wrote:

> I would put JB over the patch then coat inside of tank .

>

> I repaired my A100 tank which had 10 dime size holes in it with this

> method .

>

> Soldered the holes then 2 coat of JB over them ,followed by 3 layers of

> Flex Seal . Finished it off with coating the inside of the tank . 2

> years now no leak

Ha . Just a bit of overkill , but , if it works for you ... ;)

I do like the idea of tank sealer .

This is the best :

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

thanks for the tips, i've never done the tanks sealer thing but something to look into. it passed the overnight test, so she got new treads, killed a couple black widows, new front brake cable, lubed bearings, much easier to work on upside down. one engine seal and cleaned points. hopefully rolling tomorrow.

1544579108514-301254508.jpg