1982 Garelli won’t run but has spark, good compression

I have a 1982 Garelli, I had it started at a swap meet and It was hard to start and did not idle, I have cleaned the carb several times and it won’t start now, it has always leaked gas and I don’t know how to fix that, it has great compression ( like 170) and has a bright purple spark and I have tried using staring fluid to get it running and nothing happened so what should I do

Re: 1982 Garelli won’t run but has spark, good compression

Basics : If fuel is getting into the combustion chamber and you have good spark , check the timing . Also , check for intake air leaks .

Get that fuel leak fixed ASAP .

You don't want this :

(edited)

If the exhaust pipe is clogged it will be hard to start/run.

From where is it leaking? The carb? May be a stuck float.

lotta times a fouled spark plug will fool u, try a new one. just as often the miniscule woodruff key on crankshaft gets sheared, throwing off timing. but more likely than not that seal behind the stator plate isnt even where it needs to be because it popped off. it something like 30/17/7. of course run an inline filter and polish up your float seat.

I think that it leaks from the air intake

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think that it leaks from the air intake

If thats where its leaking from the your carb is flooding with gas from a bad, worn ot damaged float valve. And if its running out the air intake then its most certainly running into the motor and flooding the cylinder.

When you remove the spark plug after trying to start it, is the plug wet with fuel?

Mine is a 77 and its doin the same thing right now cant get it started and it keeps flooding I need to get it running by the end of January but just cant get it to fire up is there anything I could do to get it running ?(edited)

A couple of days ago I took my carb off and ordered a new top gasket, needle, and the needle for the float so I will see if that makes it stop leaking and I feel like the head has a bad gasket

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account