New to Mopeds.... FA50 and NA50 Restorations!

Hello everyone, I thought I would introduce myself since I am new to the Moped Army. I live in Indiana and have been a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast. I've done a bit of everything from racing motocross and flat track, to track days on sport bikes, Harleys, heck anything with 2 wheels and an engine! Over the last year, I came across 2 old mopeds (nopeds technically) for cheap. Both are non-running. The FA50 is definitely in better shape, but both need a complete restoration. I purchased them with the intent of being able to ride around town and the local country roads with my gf and her son. My goal for the FA50 is bring it back to as close to OE as possible. The NA50 may receive some "go-fast" goodies since it is likely the one I will be riding (I'm 230 lbs). I am sure I will be asking many questions along the way. Both bikes will have a build thread once I begin the process. Anyways, thanks in advance for help and support along the way!

Re: New to Mopeds.... FA50 and NA50 Restorations!

mark patterson /

Good luck! I actually just picked up a FA50 last week and Ive been bringing it up to speed. I can probably help with some initial questions if you have any. Also heres a link to the service manual that you can print out and use for free for the FA50..

https://www.ifixit.com/Document/uJ1pYcT6vwnHMkU1/.pdf

Thanks for the service manual link! That will definitely come in handy. The FA50 will be the first to go under the knife. It hasn’t ran in atleast 10 years. Motor spins freely and feels like it has compression, but I’m going to pull it and break it apart. I’m sure crank seals are dry and a set of rings with a fresh hone can’t hurt. It needs a good detailed cleaning, airbox, carb rebuild, and tires/tubes.

E7A62FA5-214D-430F-BD8A-725AC6ABB616.jpeg
2094D9F3-552B-49E1-B112-8565CED092CE.jpeg

mark patterson /

Im not sure if you know this but thought I would mention. You have to hold down the rear break/clutch in order for the kickstart to work and to feel the compression on the engine. Otherwise if you kick it without holding down the brake itll feel like an engine with no compression and you have very little resistance. Its an interesting system.

You might rethink it needing new crank seals on your FA50 .

The OEM seals are premium . Mine are original from 1984 and are fine .

I'd get it running before you start tearing it down . You might be pleasantly surprised .

You'll need an OEM air box and connector tube for it to perform as intended .

Mine does 28 - 30 MPH all day long , completely stock .

I've found that getting to know and use a parts fiche is a great help and source .

https://www.partspitstop.com/suzuki-scooter-parts

There weren't a lot of changes made to the FA50 over the years . Cosmetics for the most part .(edited)

Jack Rutherford /

they look so much better without that goofy rear rack.

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> they look so much better without that goofy rear rack.

But , where is a guy suppose to put the requisite milk crate ? ;)

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> they look so much better without that goofy rear rack.

They do, but you will become a 28mph hood ornament without your taillight and signals! and yeah, where does the milk-crate go? :)

Jack Rutherford /
fa50sansrack.jpg

no rack but brake light

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> >

> no rack but brake light

Is that yours , Jack ?

^^That bike rocks, no rear fender makes me sad, but looks great, if yours, where did that tank come from? Love it. I really like No-peds the older I get, got to get off my ass and get my Qt-50 back on the road, KING of the no-peds, FA are really nice though, would rock one for sure, especially as rare as they seem to be in my neck of the woods.

Jack Rutherford /

Yeah I would take it but no, not mine, just an example without a rack but tail light

I figured that out after playing with it for a few minutes. Definitely interesting!

Stock air box is the first on the list! If I can get it running and tuned fine then I won’t worry about it. I just don’t want to fry an engine from an air leak over some cheap seals if possible. The parts fiche is helpful!

I’ll be searching for a rack... or atleast a brake light at the minimum. My goal is to build this one as close to OE as possible.

« Go to Topic — end of thread