Re: 1977 Vespa bravo starting issues

Clean your idle jet hole buddy

^^ these things. Run a small, copper wire thru jet. Do the same thing with idle hole. I think you have an air leak, where the carb mounts. Remove the white, plastic bushing, put an o-ring in, and then put plastic bushing back in carb. Then put it on the intake. The o ring will seal it up. Also, if you don't have the OEM air cleaner in place, or if it's missing the screen, it will suck too much air instead of fuel, and it won't start. Another thing: after trying to start it, is the plug wet or dry? I suspect it's dry, because of sucking air.

Yeah, good advice fellas.

If you seal up the carb and it's still sucking air.......crank seal! :) I always replace these if I have to pull the engine. Not every time I pull an engine, but every first time.

John, also new to this with some success, question as dumb as it seems, I have to ask. In your first paragraph, you state the starter clutch engages , belt moves ,etc, please don't take take this the wrong way, but do you immediately release your decompression lever, to help it kick in? Just wondering,bud.

Hello I don't immediately release it, should I be?

I'm having an issue with fuel flow, without any needle assembly or float installed the gas/oil pre mix pools on top like this. I've run it through a carb cleaner and lots of compressed air and nothing, any suggestions?

Thank you!

20181223_174650.jpg

Did you check your float needle?

water like gas flows downhill. if theres a pool ya gotta physically dig all that corrosion outta there. theres only so many holes in a tiny carb, find em.

Yeah this is without a float needle even installed just completely blocked up I suppose I've run it through degreaser and tried to stick a pin or something to unclog, as well as lots of compressed air

Ended up taking a sewing pin and hammering it through thank you

Looks like you found one of your issues! Good! It's all downhill from here.

Now you've gotten the needle through, keep working until it's completely clear, as Pat said. A needle size hole won't let a lot of fuel through.

« Go to Topic — end of thread