Battery overcharging?

mark patterson /

I put a new battery on my suzuki FA50 1983 its the same one that came with it part number 6n2-2a-4 6v 2amp battery unsealed lead acid. When I get done riding Pressure has built up from the battery and will seep out the lids. I took one off and there was a noticeable pop. Im thinking the battery is getting over charged? Is this suppose to be happening or is there some electrical problem on the bike? Thanks.

Re: Battery overcharging?

I'm guessing that you are not using a battery overflow hose .

IF you have a standard lead acid type battery , there should be a nipple on the top - side of the battery to connect a hose to . The hose should run down and empty below the motor .

And , yes , there will be some charging going on .

Check your manual for testing . A multi meter is a real handy device .

Did you remove the vent hose plug on the battery and hook up the vent hose which routes through the frame?

If you have, you need to make sure the vent hose (generally clear in color) is not plugged, melted or pinched. (edited)

mark patterson /

Well I figured out why it was happening haaaa.... Idiot me left the rubber vent cap on. I had no Idea that lead acid batteries had to vent gas from discharging and being charged.

Uh yeah.... but you got it right. Every day you learn something is a good one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account