1982 garelli won't start

My 1982 garelli won't start so I thought maybe the exhaust was plugged up so I took it off and tried to clean it and I still tried to start it with it off and it's a slip on. I tried to start it without the exhaust and it made crackling noises but it didn't start with starting fluid. Would the head gasket be the reason it's not starting?

Re: 1982 garelli won't start

Many things can be the problem. Read Fred's Guide on this site. Why do you suspect head gasket?

I have taken the head off 2 times and I heard that if you take it off it will ruin the gasket and when I put the head back on I didn't use a torque wrench

Well, I've put em back on with no torque wrench. You just put the wrench in your fingers so the palm has little force.

You need the exhaust on there. Still, read fred's guide and always replace the spark plug and clean points and check the points gap.

Jack Rutherford /

if there's a big enough leak in the head gasket, it won't start. You can usually hear it if it's leaking enough. or put your hand around the cylinder head where it meets the cylinder and have someone else try to start it.

Do you have spark?

Yes I have spark

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account