Replacing Ignition coil

Does anyone know how to replace the ignition coil on a 78 Honda Express NC50?

Re: Replacing Ignition coil

Unbolt it, swap the wires, bolt the new one on, swap the wires. One of the easiest jobs.

I’m not talking about the key ignition. I’m referring to the spark coil that connects to the spark plug. It goes up into the frame of the moped and I’m not sure how to get to it to replace it.

It’s under the seat with the battery. Treatland is sold out right now but just search “nc50 coil”.

This is the part I’m referring too. I may be calling it the name because that’s what I was. So I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

BD5136A2-3356-4B67-9CD7-7446DD809DD8.jpeg

This part goes into the frame of the Express not under the seat.

6BE1FE86-808C-498D-AD70-67DD74DFEAB3.jpeg

Did you even look under the seat ?

Just maybe the coil is mounted under the seat and the lead drops through the frame ?

It might be a good idea to download and read the manual :

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Express/Honda%20Shop%20Manual%20for%20NC50-NA50.pdf(edited)

Yes I checked under the seat. The coil isn’t coming out of the frame in the direction of the seat. It’s coming down the frame in the direction of the handle bars. That’s why I’m confused how to access it.

I suppose it's possible that a PO might have put the coil in the headlight , but , That seems a bit strange .

The manual shows it under the seat . Next to the battery .

> alex . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unbolt it, swap the wires, bolt the new one on, swap the wires. One of

> the easiest jobs.

Trace your ignition wire back to the coil and then swap everything.

I don’t see a condenser on the coil. Is there one in line going to the stator?

> Sir Clip Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don’t see a condenser on the coil. Is there one in line going to the

> stator?

Condenser ??? He's gotta find the coil first . ;)

That new coil isn't going to work without a condenser.

You guys were right all along. It was exactly where you said it would be under the seat. I was confused because as stated above the new one doesn’t have the condenser and old one under the seat had the condenser. I was blinded my rage to see that it was there all along. So I apologize for being a stubborn asshole. I also want to say thank you as well for the help!

This new coil I have didn’t come with a condenser. It was given to me when I bought the express as is. The new coil is also considerably shorter than the old one so I’m not sure what to do about that either. Any suggestions will greatly help.

You could add a condenser but the time and effort would better be spent just buying the right one on treats.

When you say shorter- do you mean the ignition wire or the mounting holes?

Treatland is sold out so google “6v ignition coil with condenser”.

The ignition wire is shorter.

You can buy 7mm or 8mm spark plug wire by the foot at some auto parts stores, I get it at O’Reilly’s.

You can unscrew the wire and swap it over

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account