Suzuki FA50 noob help

Alright so, my grandma has had this moped sitting around for a long time and I have finally decided to get it running. I bought a new spark plug for it and I have finally gotten it to start up BUT it is leaking gas so bad. I have never worked on mopeds before so I dont know what could cause the problem. In the photo I have posted it is leaking gas from two places, the left side and the bottom. Is the carb flooded or something? Or am I missing lines?

20181221_105918.jpg

Re: Suzuki FA50 noob help

Pull the carb and clean everything thoroughly .

Polish the float needle seat 'til it shines bright . Insure that the float needle is serviceable .

The nipple that fuel is coming out of above the float bowl is an over flow and should have a tube that drains below the motor .

You'll need a factory air box with filter and a connector tube , if you want it to run decent .

I wouldn't ride very far on that tire .

Here's the service manual .

Read it .

http://qt50.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/suzuki-fa50-service-manual-1980.pdf

Thank you! Where exactly would that overflow tube go to? And I was going to build a filter for it soon and just buy a whole new carb. Just didnt want the new one to also be missing lines and leaking

The tube just drops down in front of the tire .

The carb you have is probably the best carb you'll find for that motor . Just clean it and see about finding a stock air box , filter and connecting tube . That's the easiest and quickest path .

IF Suzuki thought there was a better set up , they would have done at the factory .

If you can make the stock set up run the way it's suppose to , you'll be doing good .

Alright so I pulled the carb and opened it up and here's what I got. Not sure where these little pieces are or where they came from but I dont think they belong there hahaha

20181221_131805.jpg

How it ever ran is beyond me .

The jets are clogged . Where's the float ? I see the float needle and float pin .

I've found the parts fiche to be an invaluable resource to find what parts go where and their availability . You'd be wise to befriend it .

https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/l/suz/50d3eb13f8700230d8b4aeb3/1984-fa50-parts

Ebay has provided used parts at reasonable prices , but , you have to shop .

No float to be found...

Probably going to drop 20 on this because I have no idea how to install a float, i appreciate the help! That line above the overflow line, does it have a hose that it connects to?

Snapchat-1698447274.jpg

The nipple you have circled is the overflow and should have a hose dropping down below the motor .

You probably better start reading that manual if you don't know anything about how a float works .

Wal-Mart selling carbs? Now I have seen everything....I never in a million yrs would have thought to look there...this a new thing?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wal-Mart selling carbs? Now I have seen everything....I never in a

> million yrs would have thought to look there...this a new thing?

Not so new . Walmart is kinda like a facade . They list 'stuff' on their site , but , you should notice that a lot of it is sold and shipped by another company , many other companies .

It's just another way for them to slowly take over the world

> Jason Trent Wrote:

> It's just another way for them to slowly take over the world

I really don't mind much as it usually saves a few bucks . Those few bucks gets me down the road a long way . ;)

And beside , someone is always dreaming of taking over the world , so ...

mark patterson /

Oh nice! What was your top speed with this one?

mark patterson /

After she was warmed up I was getting 27 28 around. Which Is the top speed listed in the manual.

Very nice!

> mark patterson Wrote:

> I actually just recently bought a carb for my suzuki fa50 works great

> to. it can be found here

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1991-Carburetor-for-Suzuki-FA50-FA-50-Scooter-Moped-Shuttle-Carb-NEW/201950969646?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

>

> for 25 bucks.

Exactly the same carb I posted , but , the ebay one is $4.10 more .

« Go to Topic — end of thread