"Mystery" Puch Magnum(?) frame number, etc.

Got a frame. Looks to be a Magnum. But...some of the frame pipe is larger diameter than expected. Certain details not consistent: Engine bolt-on web design inconsistent and there is no frame part on right side of down tube from neck to guide cable. Those are the major ones. Seat supports look different too.

What clinches it is serial number: begins with 320...not 160... as all other ones I have or have seen.

I am thinking it might be a one speed Cobra frame from the later 80s shortly before Puch's closing. Am I correct? Anyone seen this before? Any idea on time lines of production?

No name plate on head, so I can't even read how many or what digits are beyond first five or so. But definitely begins with 320...

Re: "Mystery" Puch Magnum(?) frame number, etc.

Any pictures? Could be a Cobra or Free spirit frame.

Yeah photos speak worlds.

A cobra frame would be shorter.

I think some rarer shifty puchs like monza/"state" series puchs had thicker frames with a similar shape.

Are you sure its a puch?

Don't have a phone or camera....but I do have a clue about it. I came across a reference from an ever-present MA contributor discussing the Magnum XK that apparently was manufactured outside of Austria and had a 320...serial number. Looking for confirmation from anyone who can check their's to substantiate.

But, it's definitely a Puch.

Overpriced Parts /

Yep Spanish sounds like a made magnum xk frame,

Hard to see from the picture but my Spanish made magnum xk starts with 320 # serial number,

Pedal crank on frame size is different too so good luck finding shaft and bushings that fit though if you have a larger size od bushing with a smaller id on inside you may be able to make something work with spacers

Dirty30 Dillon /

Without pictures it's all just conjecture really.

Overpriced Parts /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yep Spanish sounds like a made magnum xk frame,

>

> Hard to see from the picture but my Spanish made magnum xk starts with

> h 320 # serial number,

>

> Pedal crank on frame size is different too so good luck finding shaft

> and bushings that fit though if you have a larger size od bushing with a

> smaller id on inside you may be able to make something work with spacers

F7C6618E-F4E2-4EF6-90B4-9064D99E3A6A.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Nice picture Ken.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Nice picture Ken.

Classic.

A special thanks to Ken...his was the reference to the "non-Austrian manufactured" Magnum frames beginning with the serial number 320...

Stumbled across that after posing my query in something seemingly little related.

Never mind. He answered the question, both times.

Now...with regard to his statements regarding the crank...I'm guessing that you can use a standard Magnum pedal crank...but the bushings on either side are not identical? Therefore the crank needs to be adjusted on one side only to fit?

Why would they do this, if correct? Seems like more work and more (though, admittedly, little) cost? Why not make them the same? Illogical.

Unless there are different pedal cranks for each? Which is still nonsensical from a business perspective.

I have been toying with the idea of making a bike with this frame and leftover parts, but am stymied by the fact that I have no registration for this frame, since I found it on the street (no forks, no swing-arm) more than 15 years ago. This would have been doable up until a couple of years ago, but the city has changed its rules about all registrations (which partly explains the number of abandoned bikes/scooters on the city streets over the last year or so).

Any ideas about how to circumvent the local regulations? From anywhere USA?

Vermont.

Overpriced Parts /

The pedal crank area on frame is narrower too.

Jayson...ummm could you be slightly more specific, please?

Yep. Here’s a link to wiki article on how to do the mail in Vermont registration dance.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

Guess I own a 320 frame too

Overpriced Parts /

> Erik Thalman Wrote:

> Guess I own a 320 frame too

>

> https://imageshack.com/a/img922/5184/D5p8Gi.jpg

>

> https://imageshack.com/a/img923/3808/1vjm1c.jpg

>

> https://imageshack.com/a/img921/7756/Ayx1tQ.jpg

Nothing like a Polini kit magnum they make such a ripper! it’s really like a motorcycle

You do need to route your fuel line and filter better though,

it’s supposed to go in the slot of the side covers that’s designed for it to go in, behind the Cowling then under the frame with the banjo fitting of the carburetor facing towards the rear wheel that way you won’t catch it with your foot or leg or somebody just grab it and pull it

Like this on my red Spanish 320,xxx frame XK :

96FAB71C-E6AE-43BF-8C85-9938EF62391B.jpeg

I was running it that way for a while but kept getting fuel delivery issues so this how it's been running and yes it has the banjo rear facing

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account