My moby maxes out at 20! How do I get it to 35?

I have a 77’ motobecane 50/L? (I dunno. That’s what’s on the front tag, mopeds are new to me)

So I have a stock variator, stock rear sprocket(40 something teeth)

I have a new coil, new magneto, NGK spark plug

Dellorto 15.15 SHA carb with 56 jet (did the 3-4 mm dremel mod on the throttle)

And a new pipe from treats.

Max speed is 20mph.

What have I not tuned correctly or am missing to get her up to 35mph? Any advice would be super helpful since I’m a newb.

Re: My moby maxes out at 20! How do I get it to 35?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Maybe a video.?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If you have a 50L, you do not have a variator unless someone swapped out the Dimoby clutch for a variated one.

Maybe it’s an AV7? I’m not too sure I don’t know much about motobecane. I’ll attach some photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Non-variated 50L

Yep, you will need a variator, and the larger 50v rear sprocket 56t I think? Not sure if the front sprocket is different as well? See Wiki for upgrades, do you have the A, B or C cyl? This will also make a difference in your performance potential.

im guessing since theres all the goodies, cdi, doppler pipe, good bushings, cable choke carb, that the cylinder is an airsal kit and not stock. therefore, i got my money on timing or that main jet being to small, u can try choking it a little while your riding to enrichen the mix to see if it picks up speeeed.

How do I tell what cylinder type I have?

I added all the goodies, carb, Doppler pipe and Cdi, everything was stock before I got to it. So probably don’t have the Airsal kit on it. ( should I get it??)I just started adding things (obviously without doing thorough research) I got my timing at 1.6 Btdc

Add a variators and 56t rear sprocket or at Doppler and 13t sprocket on it instead of the 11. I've gotten 37mph with the dimoby clutch, Doppler pulley, 13/42 gearing stockish pipes and sha 15. The only reason I kept the stock rear sprocket was because it was on a old roadrunner and I could find a 56t to fit the rear.

Awesome thanks for the tips. Think I’m gonna try adding a variator with the 56t sprocket on the rear. Any advice as to which variators are good and which to avoid?

Awesome thanks for the tips. Think I’m gonna try adding a variator with the 56t sprocket on the rear. Any advice as to which variators are good and which to avoid?

Also, should I be getting better performance with the set up I have? I’m in traveling in Mexico with the moby and won’t be able to upgrade parts till I get back.

its seemingly impossible for me to get a kitted moby to stay cool,

heres myrons page

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/parts/motobecane-parts/

> Colin Evans Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How do I tell what cylinder type I have?

Should be on the ID plate on the head-tube.

mike thompson /

To start, look at the front plate. If it is a 77, it will say on the plate if it is a 20 or 25 or 30 mph machine. If it is not a 77 (newer I think), it will say A,B or C. Some years that stands for the 20 or 25 or 30. Some years that order is reversed. You can look it up on wiki.

Also, there is a multipart YouTube video thing where "David fixes his shit" on rebuilding a stock Moby and a kitted Moby. They are excellent and worth watching

Ok it says 25 on the front.

Richard Eberline /

decompression valve leak, oil seal leak or a air leak.

starting fluid test

« Go to Topic — end of thread