Old Riverside MBK telescopic forks

My old forks (circa 1959, av88, rebadged as Ward's Riverside) are full of about 11 different kinds of grease, cow shit and mud. All 'vintage'. Anybody ever come up with a shade tree mechanic equivalent to the "bushing extractor" in the repair manual (pic)?

Not looking to buy a new tool. I tried using the recoil spring off an old weed whip coupled alongside a 2 foot 3/8 socket extension and also alongside an old lady's foot fulcrum bar. It grabs but they won't come free. Looks like there's roundabout 6 different pieces inside the fork (other pic).

Anybody ever bother going to this level of detail in a rebuild? Just douche it out and move forward?

Digging any response I can get, thanks!

IMG_20181228_195158776.jpg

IMG_20181228_200221865.jpg

Re: Old Riverside MBK telescopic forks

If you're real intent on getting them apart , I'd try capping on end of the tubes and filling them with brake cleaner or maybe carb chem dip or something strong like those . Let them soak for a good while . Then maybe they'll be a bit more likely to come out .

I'm not "real" intent about getting them apart, just being prudent. If I clean them out good enough to make space for the new grease = good enough for space flight?

Are the seals good enough to hold kerosene ?

If so put them together . Mount and compress them . While compressed , fill with kerosene . Then release and cap .

Ride around for a few days , letting the kerosene work its magic of cleaning parts .

It should provide enough lube for that short period .

Then drain , tear the forks apart , clean and 'lube' appropriately .

Short of that^ , I'd still cap an end and fill with something stout enough and let it soak for a few days . Might help if you could somehow shake the tubes around every once in a while , during the soak .

Good advice, thanks for the details.

Not sure what they would hold as far kerosene or other solvents would go. There things haven't been changed since it rolled off the factory floor. Are replacement pieces available?

Parts ? You might try http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/parts/wards-riverside-parts/

Or some of the other moped shops . They probably wouldn't have specific listings , so you should write them about whatever you're looking for .

If you're good at fabricating , that could go a long way .

One of the best things about old machines is you can make something that works and you'll likely be the only one that knows any difference . ;)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

FYI. Look for a date code on the carb. It’s probably a 1963 or 1964 model. From what i gathered in researching mine when i got it, 1959 had a different style of forks.

That 1959 that you see has more to do with a french “patent” date than a production date. Is the headlight rectangular or round? If it’s rectangular it’s surely a 64.

I posted this on another Moby website but activity there seems to be much less than this page. Sooooo

I ended up putting the forks back together and the threaded portion of the upper dampener on each side failed. One sheared off, the other stripped (pic).

Not a whole lot of force was in use, maybe already failing before I started. Or maybe I just gorilla'd them.

At any rate, does anyone know if the newer style (http://www.mopedjunkyard.com/Spring-upper-threaded-mount_p_2737.html) would work with the existing springs? No dimensions given on the parts site.

I'm thinking I could chop what's left of the originals, grind a taper on them, and use them as the floating pins as used in other models.

Thoughts?

IMG_20190224_133053349-1536x2048.jpg

Here's a better pic of what we've got left to work with.

Looks like the parts posted would match but again, no dimensions given

IMG_20190224_134009538-1536x2048.jpg

Do those attach through the upper triple or very close to it ?

If so , why not just drill and tap for a bolt and washer ?

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

10-24NC was all I had laying around.

Temp solution until I get the replacement parts situation figured out?

IMG_20190224_141619335-1536x2048.jpg

Why just temp ?

If it works , leave it . ;)

Right on. RatRod, "built not bought".

Maybe I'll pick up some prettier allen bolts since the ones I'm using now are from one of those packages you get in the "tool" aisle in the grocery store for $3.99. Best 4 bucks I spent to date.

> J D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Right on. RatRod, "built not bought".

>

> Maybe I'll pick up some prettier allen bolts since the ones I'm using

> now are from one of those packages you get in the "tool" aisle in the

> grocery store for $3.99. Best 4 bucks I spent to date.

.....so I shouldn't buy new parts (based on my remarks). Call it a fix until I break something else.

If anyone is interested, I couldn't get them all the way apart. I ended up punching them with a shotgun cleaning rod, nylon brush, and some bore cleaner to try to break up all the old grease that turned to wax.

Lots of crud, followed by some dish washing soap and hot water in the tub. From there, douched with gasoline and finally alcohol.

I also soaked the bottom caps in ATF to see is the seals would swell enough to provide some kind of seal. We'll see, some grease still slipping through. I'm not going to ride in the rain so it'll probably work for the time being.

I heard wintergreen softens rubber , to a point .

I've never tried it , but , I would if the part was NLA and I couldn't make it , or something close , myself .

I don't have any Wintergreen oil. I used ATF because it was on the shelf and I have heard that the generic stuff (power steering fluid as well) swelled seals to keep things limping along.

the forks look just like a 50v, anyone know if they interchangeable? i got a couple sitting in the yard, orange.

kevin Smellaflange /

probably...

they used the same parts.

« Go to Topic — end of thread