30v AC from off the magneto?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'm getting about 30v AC from the signal wire on an iskra tomos cdi stator, spinning it at a relatively low rpm with a drill. What on earth would cause that?

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Commonly CDI ignitions output significantly more than that. I can't specifically comment on this one but that's a general experience.

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Commonly CDI ignitions output significantly more than that. I can't

> specifically comment on this one but that's a general experience.

Really? huh. Good to know!

I guess that doesn't explain my lack of spark then.....

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Most standard source coil/pickup types will output 80+v. Not saying the Tomos is necessarily the same but I would suspect it would be similar.

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Most standard source coil/pickup types will output 80+v. Not saying the

> Tomos is necessarily the same but I would suspect it would be similar.

wow! That's alot. I'm having issues getting spark with the parmakit cdi boxes.......the first one didnt work, neither did the replacement that was sent. I guess i can eliminate the stator as a possible culprit. It must be the boxes then, because my grounds and connections are solid.....tried a few boots and plugs.....:/

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

It's high voltage but extremely low amperage. That is why the coil is such a fine wire gauge with so many turns.

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's high voltage but extremely low amperage. That is why the coil is

> such a fine wire gauge with so many turns.

yeah, that's why you get a painful zap instead of a stopped heart when you go with the brave "spark test" method. lol

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > DPC Ryan Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It's high voltage but extremely low amperage. That is why the coil is

>

> > such a fine wire gauge with so many turns.

>

> yeah, that's why you get a painful zap instead of a stopped heart when

> you go with the brave "spark test" method. lol

No, it is still more than enough to stop your heart if it were to go across your heart. Don't fuck around with electricity.

Re: 30v AC from off the magneto?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > DPC Ryan Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > It's high voltage but extremely low amperage. That is why the coil

> is

>

> >

>

> > > such a fine wire gauge with so many turns.

>

> >

>

> > yeah, that's why you get a painful zap instead of a stopped heart when

>

> > you go with the brave "spark test" method. lol

>

> No, it is still more than enough to stop your heart if it were to go

> across your heart. Don't fuck around with electricity.

I mean, i personally don't use my flesh as a spark tester(at least not on purpse), nor do i taze myself with stun guns for attention like some idiots on the internet...i'm pretty cautious around electricity in general.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).