Leaking Chappy

Rambro Rambro /

So I have this 70's Chappy that I just refueled for the first time since I got it. Rode fine for a few hours. Next day there was a puddle of oil/gas on the garage floor. Coming from the front pipe. Also noticed when trying to start it was spitting oil/gas. Upon inspection I noticed the pipe connection was loose. Possibly from vibration. I tightened it up it started up and I thought I was fine. Until this morning I look and there's another puddle. Any suggestions? Could it be the cold weather? (I live in New England)

thanks!

IMG_6277.JPG
IMG_6278.JPG

Re: Leaking Chappy

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I think the float/needle in your carburetor got stuck open, and fuel leaked down into the intake, filling up the crankcase/cylinder and leaking out the exhaust onto the floor.

Rambro Rambro /

others on another forum said the same I checked it and it seems fine but how can I tell or fix? thanks!

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Rambro Rambro Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> others on another forum said the same I checked it and it seems fine but

> how can I tell or fix? thanks!

remove the carburetor and clean it. Take some pictures.

Is there a fuel valve? Until you service the carb that should keep the puddle down to a small size if you just shut it off when you shut down. You should get in the habit of doing that anyway.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is there a fuel valve? Until you service the carb that should keep the

> puddle down to a small size if you just shut it off when you shut down.

> You should get in the habit of doing that anyway.

That is a given for any motor that doesn't utilize an automatic vacuum fuel valve .

An AFV can be cheaply added if you're too lazy to shut a petcock off , like I am .

I've seen them for less than 3 bucks .

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7N8HRK/

« Go to Topic — end of thread