Motobecane engine replacement? or swap?

Charles Laypool /

I've got my hands on a 50v for 50$ frame and rims in great condition engine was destroyed so I've now got 2 options and want honest opinions.

Buy a new av10/av7??

Or

Modify and install 110/125cc 4 Stroke??

I love the belt drive with the cvt style pully and 2 strokes are amazing yet gas stations don't have premix cheap at all and I don't want to be mixing gas at a gas station or in my tank.

4 stroke will have more speed, less sound, can fuel up at any gas station but with gears and possible cutting into the frame...

Lay it on me guys. honest opinions

IMG_20181105_104449_01.jpg
IMG_20181105_104439_01.jpg

Re: Motobecane engine replacement? or swap?

Nice looking bike , but , by your desires , you should have bought a motorcycle .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Do whatever you want. Just know that if you go with a cheap 4 stoke swap, you won't get as much love around here. If you do decide to go through with the swap, do it first, and post pictures when your'e done or as you go.

i'd Build an AV10 with parts from treats. Or, mopeddivision has complete av10 engines for $375, and they have sale going on.

https://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-av10-bottom-end-ADVENTURE-p/mbk-bottom-end-adventure.htm

https://www.mopeddivision.com/motobecane-av10-complete-engine/

Personally, i'd build my own engine.

Charles Laypool /

Honestly I have everything I need to put a 4-stroke engine on it. (110cc semi automatic and a 125cc manual). So I would be spending almost nothing to put it all together.

But on the other hand do I really want to modify the frame for one of those motors.

Or buy a new stock engine for a chunk of change

Charles Laypool /

Yeah I've been over on moped division got a cart made up just trying to make up my mind.

Spend money and keep it original. And deal with premix and gas.

Or

Throw a engine i have lying around on it.

Hack up that dumb frenchien if you want to. Even more of a reason to if you already have the motor just chilling in the garage. Its not like they didn't make a million 50v

Rebuild what you have, more trouble than it is worth to add the heavier 4 stroke engines. Not sure the issues with pre-mix? I don't remember any gas stations outside of marina's that ever had it at the pump? Are you talking about the pre-bottled stuff? That is way too expensive, just get a 5 gallon can, add your oil and fill, only make a gallon or two at a time or fill it up if you will be riding every day, then just top up the bike every time you get home, you can get one of those bottled pre-mix cans for a reserve if you really fear running out.

mike thompson /

Are those 50 va7 motor clones from moped division any good? Has anyone ever used one?

destroyed? engine looks complete to me, or did someone take a sledge to it post pictures.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> destroyed? engine looks complete to me, or did someone take a sledge to

> it post pictures.

Serious.....rebuild that thing! MBK motors are easy to rebuild!

Charles Laypool /

The previous owner of the bike stored it without a spark plug in it. Took me a whole bottle of marvel mystery oil in 4 hours to get the thing moving. It ran for about 2 days then died there's nothing Salvageable. So I'm looking to just throw a av10 in it.

I just completely tore the bike down today cleaned it. Going to start sanding tomorrow so then I can paint it. While I'm waiting on the engine and parts

IMG_20190101_130638817.jpg
IMG_20190101_162302084.jpg

mike thompson /

what engine are you going with?

Charles Laypool /

Av10. My problem is trying to find out what I'm going to do to where the chrome embellishers went on the gas tank sides

mike thompson /

Are you buying a new clone? Like from Moped Division?

Charles Laypool /

Yes. I will be dissembling inspecting and doing any clean up that needs to be done in it too before I install

The paint looks really good, maybe just a little rubbing compound and wax job, I bet she looks like new, did you get the side-covers?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Paint looks nice, i wouldnt paint over it.

Charles Laypool /

Yeah the paint does look alright but there's lots of scratches and stuff. Also one side of the bike is faded so I'm going to be painting it black with light blue trim. The side embellishers for the gas tank where a very rough shape. A friend of mine does custom airbrush paint jobs I might just get motobecane airbrushed on both sides

good choice on av10, the chrome tank dodads just pop rivet on. was that the question?

do the av10, that bike is too nice to cut up, and if done right, it will haul ass.

Av10 clone is absolute garbo. Comes with a slooow cylinder and the head is shittily dremeled to clear the piston at tdc. We used to offer them to our cheap/French moped owning customers as a relatively inexpensive alternative to us rebuilding it, but honestly after swapping out all the variator shit and fixing the head it was basically the same price for them, just paying more $ for new parts instead of the labor. Needless to say we dont give the option anymore. You should get the party pack and assemble it yourself.

Charles Laypool /

I'll take my chances. I appreciate the concern but after I get the paint done and everything assembled I'll be installing a "big bore kit"

I like speed. The reason I'm going all out on this is because iv built motorized bicycles for yearssss. Something about a motorcycle with pedals pushing 70 mph on the highway passing dumbfound people wondering how I'm pedaling so fast before they see the 70cc 2 stroke motor between my legs

Charles Laypool /

Yeah but how in the hell do you put them back on. They came off very easy

I hate when people paint their mopeds, original paint is much more stylish than that new paint look. But again, its just a 50v so go for it. Black is pretty boring though.

Charles Laypool /

I'm sry buddy I had to paint it. That blue bores me when I see it and u can see the white and tan primer they used through parts of frame and fender. I bought this thing for fifty bucks and had one thing in mind. Make it mine so I'm customizing everything I possibly can. Cost is not an issue

Lets see some pics .

Charles Laypool /

There's pics posted already on this page. And now everything is primed waiting to dry so I can apply the first coat of 3 light coats black then I got a shit ton of pinstriping to do in a light blue/green

> Charles Laypool Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There's pics posted already on this page. And now everything is primed

> waiting to dry so I can apply the first coat of 3 light coats black then

> I got a shit ton of pinstriping to do in a light blue/green

I thought you already had it painted .

You gonna add some small metal flake to that black ? Real fine particles would make that black jump .

Be sure to post some 'painted' and progress pics . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account