NX50 Cylinder Stuck?

Rebuilding a Honda Express, got it mostly stripped down, but the cylinder is seemingly impossible to remove, don't want to damage it, so how hard is it usually to remove a cylinder for the first time in 40 years with 2.3k miles?? I don't think it's ever been off before. I've used my own hand strength, rubber mallet, don't want to risk cracking it, or the case, how far should I go? I really want to replace the piston rings.

P.s. The head and bolts came out just fine.

Re: NX50 Cylinder Stuck?

Thin screwdriver or chisel St the base. Shouldn't take much.

Does the engine turn over? If it doesn't the rings may be rusted to the cylinder bore surface. If it does turn over then maybe it's the cylinder studs rusted to the inside of the cylinder through holes. Or you could have both problems. Use plenty of penetrating oil...and time...and a hard plastic mallet. I would be wary of damaging the spigot surface and the base of the cylinder using screwdrivers and/or chisels.

Yeah, the engine ran just fine before I decided to rebuild. It ran so well that it ran without the spark plug connected! ('dieseling')... lol, it's got a lot of carbon build-up.

The last time I had this problem I used a heat gun to warm up the cylinder for a few minutes before striking with a mallet.

I almost have the same problem here

« Go to Topic — end of thread