Honda Express Carb Troubles

Zach Carpenter /

Hello,

I'm working on a honda express 1978 trying to get it running again im pretty new to working on these bikes and engines in general. While trying to work on the carb and get it to stop leaking gas. I noticed the inside did not match my other working bike of the same model. The first and second are the pictures of the not working bike, the third is the picture of the working bike.

IMG_6014.jpg
IMG_6013.jpg
IMG_6015.jpg

Inside it was missing two parts, the top brass part (im not sure what its called sorry) and the other needle looking part on the side (again sorry).

I'm not sure if the whole carb is junk or if I can repair it, i've looked all over the internet and can't find either of those parts. Any help would be great but if I need to get a new carb what would be my best bet, since they're are so few out there that work.

Thanks!

Re: Honda Express Carb Troubles

The keihin clone carbs on ebay are not all that bad, i would just snag one of those. Missing a jet isnt a bit deal or hard to replace (the little brass screw) but the rest is essential and easier to just get another carb.

You could also post on buy/sell, im positive someone has one laying around they will give you for cheap

Jack Rutherford /

Looks like your missing the pilot jet (long brass tube), the float, float needle, float screw and float pin (assuming you haven't removed those items). Looks like the main jet is in it. I've never been able to locate a replacement pilot jet unless someone happens to post one for sale but most don't realize that the pilot jet pops out anyway. You can try a clone or maybe go with a Dellorto SHA real or fake. You would also need an intake adapter for the SHA.

For some reason, I picked up another Express. I guess the price was right. Getting those old carbs cleaned to the point that they will run right can be a pain. I may have to go full SHA on it.(edited)

Zach Carpenter /

Thanks for your reply!

I have all the parts for the float, and the main jet is broken off and i'm not sure if its broken off inside or not. I'm going to try to remove it and replace it with one I found on ebay. I'm not sure what the long brass part is thats missing but im assuming I need that part too. I've read that changing the carb completely makes the bike run badly. Is that true?

Thank you so much for the help!

You just have put in the proper jet size when you change the carb

There’s actually an “A” carb and a “B” carb for these. The third pic is of an “A” carb and the top 2 pics are off an “B” carb. The “B” has a pressed a in jet and once it’s screwed up you can’t replace. It’s missing the idle tube also. The “A” carb has a removable jet held in with an o-ring that goes into a needle set jet. The bike won’t idle without that tube but the jet appears to be intact and looks ok.(edited)

Zach Carpenter /

So the first one (type B) is messed up beyond repair? And the second one (type A) is still good and normal?

Thanks!

The B just needs the idle tube. The jet looks normal minus the little corrosion. But it does appear a chunk is missing but you can’t see that side in the picture so I can’t say for sure. The A looks good and the jet is supposed to look like that.

I would just pull the idle tube out of the other one and put into the other. Then try it out on the bike and see how it does.

Zach Carpenter /

Just to be sure I can take it out of the other one and they will both work? Or is it just temporary? How do I remove it?

Thanks!

The tube pulls out. Grab at the base and pull on it but don’t crush it. Again you need that tube in both carbs for it to work right. You will just be transplanting the idle tube to the missing one for testing.

« Go to Topic — end of thread