Magnum x

Just acquired a magnum x. Bit of a project. At some point someone has replaced the 17mm bing with something resembling a carb. The original intake is still fitted, albeit with this thing glued to the end of it.

JMPB.com sell a puch monza 17mm bing which is oriented the correct way as the carb is mounted on the right. I believe thats its genuine and will take genuine parts. They also sell two other 17mm bings which are replicas and from my experience with bing repair kits I'm pretty dubious.

Any other magnum x owners got any tips on replacing the carb on a stock 3.5hp Rough rider?

Re: Magnum x

Second question.

I have no intention of riding this bike as is it obviously designed for a child and the manual states that 98 lbs is the maximum load capacity...

However, in the event of an emergency such as a fire, flood or civil unrest if theoretically my only options were to ride said child's bike would the replacement magnum x rear shocks available online be sufficient to carry a 190 lb man or would a sturdier or longer pair be advisable?

thats funny, keep fresh premix handy.

lol i ride my magnum x allday. of course its all tricked out and far from stock. but ya throw some shocks on it if ur worried abt bottoming out. also i have the stock intake and bing if you want to buy those off me.

PM'd

Is yours actually a rough rider? Mine is the only one ive ever seen outside of one on eBay.es

Screenshot_2019-01-12-14-09-27.png

roughrider.jpg

The plastics are missing. They've been replaced with tin panels with carbon fiber wrap. The mudguards are not original

The seat is red. Faded but no tears. I imagine the rough rider lettering has rubbed off.

The tank has been painted red but is white inside the filler. Pretty sure the tank shape is the best indication of the model as all the others I've seen have the slim tank.

All in all its a bit of a dog but the frame is sound and it starts and runs. Would like to restore it to original condition as the parts are all available.

Wow those honda fenders look like crap. Side covers, fenders, pipe etc are all the same. The only difference is the red seat and the extra .25 gallon tank.

Does yours have holes in the piston skirt?

I never had the stock top end. It had a blown polini and smoked crank when I got it. Id say that those are probably not factory.

Is that a stock rim on the back? What size tire did you put on? Are the front forks original? I was thinking about extending the swinging arm but a fat back tire would be good on that little 12 inch rim. Did you have to change the gearing much?

The street tire is a Bridgestone battlax for a ysr. Its the original rim and forks in that picture. I have since extended the swinger and put ebr magnum forks, a mc50 wheel and a hobbit front rim on it.

Screenshot_2019-01-16-11-24-20.png

Sweet. I'll have to get my head around the geometry of the swinging arm. Looks better with that extra height at the back.

I have some hydro 380mm shocks on there now. Looks funny when it has no weight on it, once you put your butt on it the height is perfect. The baffle was too close to the tire on it with the 320mm

How much did you extend the swinging arm by?

About 4 inches

Think I'm gonna pretty much copy what you've done. How is the engine compared to the standard E50? I've read that they're pretty powerful.

Mine never was stock, though Ive heard good things. I dont understand 3.5hp given that its a magnum top end with a 17 Bing and maybe a differnt piston, plus the stock pipe is a fat pancake at the end of a small header... Mine has always has been just okay, the motor was super trashed when I got it. First I had a 70cc kstar with the stock exhaust for a while, then I made the Estoril fit on it, shortly after it blew the crank. Fixed it traded it, bought it back.

Now I have a polini in it, which I will probably take off this spring and be going to the 74cc eurokit.

« Go to Topic — end of thread