Honda Hobit - stripped case hole.

When installing the case bolts in a salvaged Honda Hobbit aluminum engine I found that the interior threads on one of the holes was stripped. What is the best

way to repair - if possible. I can drill and tap a little deeper or bore out to the next size up (SAE or metric) or just trash it and get another one. All suggestions would be appreciated. Thank. Jack

Re: Honda Hobit - stripped case hole.

Upgrading to M7 studs is a common mod for hobbits, that's probably your best bet.

I should explained this is the hole for bolting the two case haves together. Jack

> Jack Nielsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I should explained this is the hole for bolting the two case haves

> together. Jack

Heli coil , done right , will last .

I've used them many times with excellent results .

If you want to spent a lot more money for an even more permanent fix , look into Time-Sert .

Yeah a helicoil is your answer. The case bolts aren't even under much torque (shouldn't be). Use loctite on the helicoil (NOT THE CASE BOLT) to keep it in there.

Are you sure the right bolts are in the right holes because the bolts that hold the half's together are not of uniform length. Before I do anything measure the depth of the hole and see if there is more depth than the bolt length. If 5 or more mm then retap.with a m6 1.0.tap.and buy a.nice bolt with an Allen head at your local Ace hardware which usually stocks quite a bit of m6 1.0. Trying to drill deeper is fraught with peril usually. Otherwise I'd have to.mayne go up one size which would be sae. Good.luck. Let is in iw what u do and how it worked.

Marc thanks for the tip. I measured each of the four bolt holes and there is about 5mm more of depth than the bolt length in each hole. So I tried a longer (50mm) hex bolt and it snugs down nicely in the hole. I tried to run a plug tap (it has a flat tip) down the hole to clean out any debris but was not long enough. The problem is that the tap handle keep hitting the case or the crankshaft so I need to get a longer tap or an extension connection. Keep you posted on my progress. Thanks Jack

If it snugs down pretty well then remember my favorite anesthesia/medical adage: the enemy of good is better ! If u r cleaning out debris how about a q tip ! With aid of gravity

Consider blue loctite on that bolt.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account