1980 Newport II

Robert Spine /

I have a 1980 Puch Newport II that has been hiding in my basement for the past 15+ years. Prior to that it was owned by my wife’s cousin (the original owner) and has always been garage kept. It is in excellent cosmetic condition. I decided to take a serious look at getting it running only to find that apparently the piston is frozen in the cylinder. I cannot get the crank pedals to budge when I squeeze the clutch lever. I have pulled the plug and squirted PB Blaster into the cylinder and will give that a couple more days of trying before I go any further. I have downloaded the factory shop manual and I am pretty competent with mechanical and electrical repairs. I have been reading the forums but would appreciate any tips you might have for me in attempting to get this freed up. I am in north west NJ if any of you are local.

Re: 1980 Newport II

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

We're practically neighbors. I'm in Port Murray, off Rt. 57. I'm available if you need technical help, Puch specialty tools or parts support.

Let that PB Blaster do it's thing for a few days and hopefully it will break free. If it doesn't, you might have to remove the head and use a large diameter wooden dowel and pound that piston out of the cylinder. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Good luck!

Robert Spine /

Moped Lar - thanks for the fast response and offer of assistance! I will definately be contacting you as this work-in-progress continues.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

No problem. I'm glad to help.

Robert Spine /

Here are a couple pictures of the moped. This bike has not even had the dust from 15 years of storage wiped off. The head came off easily, and the cylinder easily loosened from the case. The piston is obviously rusted badly inside the cylinder. I made a "yoke" out of Brazilian ironwood to place between the case and the cylinder and attempted to drive the piston out of the back of the cylinder. I attempted, it defeated me. 3 pound sledge hammer hitting a hardwood dowel did not move the piston at all. Tomorrow I try heat, but how much, to what specific parts and for how long? I have propane and MAPP. Do I gradually heat the cylinder or the piston skirt or both? How hot can I go without damage to the cylinder or does it even matter? I assume the cylinder is going to have to be replaced, along with the piston and rings. Just looking for some experienced guidance.

I pulled the carb, and completely disassembled it. I didn't take 'before' pictures of the insides, but I have seen worse. Everything was soaked in a carb dip for two hours and brushed off, run under clean water, and I used an air hose to blow open passages and dry things off. It will need a rebuild kit

More progress to follow, I hope!

20190114_104841.jpg

20190114_104749.jpg

20190114_163849.jpg

Great bike! I love it when the pin striping on those Newports is still intact!

Carb rebuild kits are cheap and easy to do as you could probably tell after disassembly. You might be familiar with the larger Bing cousins if you ride a lot of BMWs too.

The stock cylinders are surprisingly resilient so you may only need to polish the bore and swap a new ring in, depending on what exactly is going on in there. The main thing is not to damage the crank, as that is more difficult to replace on those 2 speed engines. In fact I'd personally probably cut the damn cylinder off before risking too much stress on the crank with the wood/hammer method, since stock cylinders are basically free they're so common

Get one of these timing gear pullers from AutoZone or Amazon. Mount it up to the cylinder studs and crank the center bolt against the piston to push it through.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/19 08:01PM by handsomeman.

Robert Spine /

Moped Lar - I Just sent you an e-mail.

Robert Spine /

Status update....after three days and endless cycles of soaking, heating and beating I finally got the piston and cylinder to separate. Moped Lars stopped by and pronounced the cylinder to be in pretty great shape and can just be honed out. He also confirmed I have spark, and helped me to reassemble the top cover and slider of the carb. The piston rings are frozen solid to the piston. He says they will need to be replaced.

The gas tank was badly rusted. The petcock was completely blocked. It has been removed and will be replaced. The tank was filled with white vinegar for three days, with the tank flushed and refilled daily. I set up a compressed air ‘bubbler’ using an air nozzle from my compressor and that seemed to help in the cleaning process. Yesterday afternoon I switched the vinegar for Evapo-rust. I will flush and refill again later today.

Anyone have a #22 piston and rings set they are willing to sell, or a recommendation on where to purchase them? If I have to replace the cylinder and piston/rings as a kit, is there a recommendation on a specific kit to purchase? I would like to keep this as stock as possible.

Thanks

I just read that Myron's Mopeds helped a fellow needing a #22 piston set .

Call or email ...

http://www.myronsmopeds.com

Robert Spine /

It runs! I had the cylinder honed, and cleaned up the piston. Using Enviro-rust it took me 5 days to get the gas tank cleaned to the point that I wasn’t getting visible rust specks when flushing it out. Moped Lar donated a used top ring and a new bottom ring, and I assisted him in reassembly of the engine. I had already cleaned and reassembled the carb, installed a new petcock and fuel line. We poured some gas into the tank and it started immediately! A minor adjustment was made to the idle screw and we tried the lights and horn. Everything works! We did several stop/run cycles just to make sure it was really working. My best guess is the last time this machine ran was 1985! I will use the rest of this winter to inspect the rest of it, clean it up and replace the tires. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. I will post some pictures of the finished product.

Great news! Congratulations!

That's what we like hearing . :)

Way to go,MopedLar! You are a great guy to have close-by! Glad you were there for a fellow Mopeder.

Don't forget to replace the shift dampening pucks :)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

First things, first. I can help Rob do that in the spring, when it's much warmer out.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/19 12:22PM by mopedlar.

Robert Spine /

My main goal for this ‘phase’ was to verify I had a functional engine. Starting it for the first time verified the engine was good, so now I can clean it up and do whatever other service that is necessary. Rest assured, I will read everything available on changing the pucks and other maintenance well before I attempt anything. Having MopedLar practically as a next door neighbor will certainly be helpful!

Brad William /

Hey,

I've got a similar year Newport two speed as well. Same color.

I also have a BMW motorcycle sitting next to it in the garage.

Do a little web diving on the shared history of these two companies. You'll find some really interesting family ties between your bikes.

Brad William /

I like the two speed ZA better than my E50 most of the time. The E is simpler and easier to maintain, and the deeply satisfying aspect of SIMPLE transportation just makes you smile, ride on, and keep these bikes alive. But the ZA is more capable of exploration with its low end. The E just does not like to explore anywhere under 10mph and/or unpaved. The ZA does.

And I have to say... on any summer day, when I trot out to the garage for a summer ride to the beach or anywhere within 15 miles of my home, the Puchs get lit up more often than the much bigger brother BMW. They just make me unreasonably happy.

« Go to Topic — end of thread