1982 garelli keyway seat

I have a 1982 garelli sport and I have been diagnosing and replacing parts for it and I couldn’t find out what was wrong with it and tonight I found out that the keyway was half gone and I looked for the key seat and it looked like is was almost gone (it wasn’t engraved very much) so is it supposed to look like that. Also if the key seat is fine what is a good website to get keyways and are they all the same.

BD93AE3F-D828-407F-854E-3708C3ED3947.jpeg
473D3A93-F20C-49E2-9297-9B5A87F90B7E.jpeg
FABE2983-C35C-4FEE-9DD4-89B183E30A5B.jpeg

Re: 1982 garelli keyway seat

i guess this is pretty common, theres another thread this week. look up how to lapp your flywheel to the crank taper. also, change your seal behind stator plate, its messed up, get two just in case u mess up. 15 30 7.

Do you want me to look it up on google or on this website and what deal are you talking about

this site, search function, the deal is to replace yr crank seal. its buggered u can see its cracked in the picts.

How do I replace it and where is it located

good luck.

How do I replace the seal and where is it in the picture

Quick lesson :

The small metal piece that sheared is called a key .

The groove the it fits into is called a key-way .

Your cam wick looks dry . It should be oiled .

As for replacing the crank seal and anything else on / about the bike , here's a link to a service manual . You should read and understand it well .

https://martysgarage.info/manuals/garelliservice.pdf

Lapping flywheel to the crankshaft :

Apply lapping compound to the taper . Then the flywheel goes on without a key and gets hand turned a few in one direction , then the opposite direction as many times . Repeat until surfaces involved are showing smooth and matching . The idea is to create as much friction as possible between the crankshaft taper and the flywheel taper .(edited)

Do you guys think that the seal will be fine if I don’t replace and how long would it last if I left it.

That seal will absolutely NOT be fine. It will last zero more seconds. It will allow excess air into your crankcase, severely leaning out your fuel mixture, and if you can get it to run it will overheat and seize your engine.

Or do it your way.

Well....... I still don’t understand how to replace it

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Well....... I still don’t understand how to replace it

Sure easy. Mark your stator to the case, so you don't lose your ignition timing. Remove the stator. pry old seal out. Insert new one. Reinstall stator, aligning your timing marks. Done.

Are you sure that’s all you have to do and where do I get one

Owen: To remove the seal you have several choices: 1) buy a small dental pick at your local hardware and just pry it out, 2) purchase a seal removal tool like a Lisle seal puller as shown on you tube, or 3) carefully screw in a small screw into the rubber seal and pull it out being careful not to hit the bearing. I would also recommend replacing the seal on the other side if you have the tools available. To install the new seal, oil the inner lip of the seal with 2T oil and side down the crank shaft. Get a small piece of pvc pipe a little bigger in diameter than the crank and use this as a tool to press in the seal. To get a new key and seal email the folks at Treatland and see if they have a key and a new seal for your moped. If they do not have them, there are numerous other places on the net you can look. If you have other questions or problems look at keep posting here or look at the Wiki. Good luck. Jack

Thank you for all these informations guys it will be helpfull !

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Idk what they're talking about. You can't see the seal in any of the pictures.

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> Idk what they're talking about. You can't see the seal in any of the

> pictures.

did u look george? crankshaft seal in the plate of cheerios. its jacked pict 2. under spoon.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> pat splat Wrote:

> > DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Idk what they're talking about. You can't see the seal in any of the

>

> > pictures.

>

> did u look george? crankshaft seal in the plate of cheerios. its jacked

> pict 2. under spoon.

Are you sure it’s bad because it’s not leaking

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> Are you sure it’s bad because it’s not leaking

Dude, it's a Garelli. That seal ALWAYS goes out and will cause more problems than you can imagine running wise. You won't see a leak it just sucks air which in turn won't seal the crank case. That seal is 5-$10 depending on where you get it. If you don't replace it you'll be sorry and have been warned. They are really telling you right to be honest. https://www.treatland.tv/derbi-garelli-crankshaft-seal-p/garelli-derbi-crank-seal.htm. This is the seal you need.(edited)

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> Are you sure it’s bad because it’s not leaking

Yes it is. It does not hold 'oil' in your case like you might expect. It holds primary compression on the intake stroke, and vacuum on the compression stroke. You can't see it leaking, because it's leaking air. It's a five minute job and a five dollar fix. Why are you bucking us on this, dude? If you wanna argue, you won't get far.

I have the crank seal. On the seal it looks like it holds baearings, is that right. And do I need to put some special compound on it?

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> I have the crank seal. On the seal it looks like it holds baearings, is

> that right. And do I need to put some special compound on it?

You will need to remove your Stator plate first to install the seal. Once the stator is out of the way, remove the old seal with a seal puller or a screwdriver. There will be a bearing behind the seal, but it doesn't come out with this procedure. Smear a little oil on the outside and inside circumferences of the new seal and slide it over the shaft, aligning it with the case. Use a large socket or pipe that is close to the outside diameter of the seal to press the seal in evenly and squarely, tapping it in gently a little at a time until flush. Put your stator back on, set timing, and you're done.

What kind of oil do I use

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> What kind of oil do I use

2T oil makes a great assembly/all purpose lubricant. I keep an oil squirt can of Lucas brand on my workbench.

Will 2 cycle work

Oops I just realized 2T is 2 cycle

Yep. Any oil will work, really. I just always have 2t (or 2 cycle) around, and since that is what lubricates the engines internals, it just makes sense. You could use Crisco, if ya want, haha. You just want it to slide in relatively easily; it's a tight fit! You'll find with mopeds, there are more guidelines and suggestions than hard set rules. There is much improvisation, for sure. You learn to make things work.

I tried to take out the crank seal with a flathead screw driver and it didn’t work, then I was trying to drill screws in it and there was metal behind it. What do I do

They are kinda a pain without a seal puller, but you're on the right track . The seal body is made of thin metal, coated in a rubbery material, and a rubber inner sealing ring. It also has a spring that runs around the circumference of the inner lip, so don't freak out when you find that. if you can, pry it out with a screwdriver, but screwing a sheet metal screw into the seal a little bit might help too. Just don't damage the bearing behind the seal, or get metal shavings in it. And be careful not to score up the crank shaft, too. I know it's a hassle, but be patient, be careful, and don't give up or get frustrated. You'll get it.