Batavus HS50 clutch prevents turnover

Michael Lefevre /

Hoping the experts can help me here.

My HS-50 got some rust after sitting outside under a cheap cover for a year. The engine turns over by hand and the piston moves freely, but when I pull the clutch cable the engine becomes impossible to turn over--when the clutch engages it locks up. I've removed the spark plug and can't get it to turn over using the pedals with the clutch engaged, but like I said it still spins by hand.

I should be focused on the clutch, right? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Re: Batavus HS50 clutch prevents turnover

The other day, after tearing down and reassembling my Puch ZA50 transmission, I decided to take it for a ride. It did the same thing; it wouldn't turn over with the start clutch lever squeezed. "What the hell?", I thought. I had already started it once. But now that I wanted to ride, as soon as I squeezed the lever, it wouldn't turn over. I tried coasting down my driveway and squeezing the lever, but it just locked up the rear wheel and wouldn't turn over. Frustrated, I pulled the magneto cover, and the engine turned free. I was about to put it back on the bench to tear it apart, but wasn't ready to concede to failure. While standing beside the bike I decided to give it one more try, and grabbed that lever and squeezed...

It was at that moment I realized I had hold of the rear brake lever

Michael Lefevre /

Yikes. But definitely not what I'm experiencing over here...I'm watching the clutch cable tighten on the clutch as I pull the clutch lever.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Okay quick fix first. Get some lighter fluid. Get some marvel mystery oil.

Thoroughly soak clutch with tons of lighter fluid. Wait like an hour. Take MMM and lube the inside hub then with a little tension on the clutch lever gently tap the center with a small hammer.

Otherwise tear it apart and smooth the hub splines and plates where they join.

« Go to Topic — end of thread