Wiring for headlight?

Sergio Pelayo /

I just got a new headlight for my Puch Maxi and I’m confused as this is my first time. What do the 3 connection points go to? I know 1 goes to the voltage regulator. But the other 2?

8020A49D-1B6E-4C92-AD7A-D7F7711B653D.png

Re: Wiring for headlight?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Pretty easy, one is low beam positive, one is high beam positive, the other is negative/ground

Sergio Pelayo /

Do I hook up both of the low and high beam together or just pick one? Sorry I’m a noob

You connect them to the wires they belong to for high and low beam. If you bike has no high beam switch just use the low. The high isn't brighter, it just shines higher into other people's eyes.

I've had both high and low beams on at once , for everyday use . Definitely adjust the headlight to not blind oncoming traffic .

Both on at the same time puts out a nice amount of light , but , your system has to be able to handle the added output .

My FA50 has a bad switch . I chose the high beam for the better pattern and adjusted the headlight down . Have never had a vehicle bright flash me .

Sergio Pelayo /

Appreciate it!

What I don’t understand is, why didn’t they just ground the light at the light bucket mounting tabs. Then run a wire from the empty port to the same tab for grounding off accessories like the horn & the kill switch.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/19 02:33AM by countryboy1.

It's better to run a dedicated ground wire. If you ground the headlight to the fork it'll usually work, but you're relying on a connection through the headset bearings or cables, which isn't always that great.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's better to run a dedicated ground wire. If you ground the headlight

> to the fork it'll usually work, but you're relying on a connection

> through the headset bearings or cables, which isn't always that great.

The front tire is connected to the forks?

Rick Bergsma /

> The front tire is connected to the forks?

Are you confusing the common , negative ground on a vehicle with the ground , as in the road your driving on ?

Grounding to the forks is a terrible path back to the stator. Had a friend ground his CDI to the headlight bucket and couldn't get it to run at all because of the weak ground.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Grounding to the forks is a terrible path back to the stator. Had a

> friend ground his CDI to the headlight bucket and couldn't get it to run

> at all because of the weak ground.

Wait the ground wire communicates with the cdi and uses the frame as the line of communication? It’s a ground wire its job is to find the path of least resistance to earthEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/19 03:03PM by countryboy1.

Whats funny is when you have a bad fork ground and it shocks you every time you grab the metal brake levers.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> Whats funny is when you have a bad fork ground and it shocks you every

> time you grab the metal brake levers.

This is true! Also true when you have a bad ground anywhere. I remember my jog shocked the fuck out of me so bad. i think if you wear rubber gloves this issue can be fixed lol.

Does an electric fence need to be closed to work?

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> > Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Whats funny is when you have a bad fork ground and it shocks you every

>

> > time you grab the metal brake levers.

>

> This is true! Also true when you have a bad ground anywhere. I remember

> my jog shocked the fuck out of me so bad. i think if you wear rubber

> gloves this issue can be fixed lol.

>

> Does an electric fence need to be closed to work?

Not if it's all one piece. But trying to ground end through the gate is kind of like grounding through headset bearings.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Whats funny is when you have a bad fork ground and it shocks you

> every

>

> >

>

> > > time you grab the metal brake levers.

>

> >

>

> > This is true! Also true when you have a bad ground anywhere. I

> remember

>

> > my jog shocked the fuck out of me so bad. i think if you wear rubber

>

> > gloves this issue can be fixed lol.

>

> >

>

> > Does an electric fence need to be closed to work?

>

> Not if it's all one piece. But trying to ground end through the gate is

> kind of like grounding through headset bearings.

Nothing is being grounded thrue the headset bearing, its ether going Down the forks or thrue the brake cable. If you run a ground to the center of your frame it can still run thrue your headset bearing.

I think I have a stock headlight with a factory riveted ground wire on the small lens mounting tab. They sell kill switches that use your handle bars.

Don’t forget to remove the paint lol

Down the fork? To what, a wormhole that leads back to the stator? Unless you have a jumper wire connecting the forks to the frame you have no solid ground aside from the conductivity of from greased up ball bearings. I can see this isn't sinking in and so I will leave the thread here.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Down the fork? To what, a wormhole that leads back to the stator? Unless

> you have a jumper wire connecting the forks to the frame you have no

> solid ground aside from the conductivity of from greased up ball

> bearings. I can see this isn't sinking in and so I will leave the thread

> here.

What is this going back to the strator about? And the only thing that needs a jumper wire its rubber mounted stuff like gas tanks and engines.

Do you think there is a worm hole to the center of the earth? I would sure like the follow my kill switch there

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Hmm, interesting, was searching for a Lamp like that because my Maxi had one, then crashed it once, had to replace it and got the same one, with the ground wire, an idiot on a bike path took my right of way and i had to replace it once again, then i couldn't find one with that connector and had the wire just hanging there ever since. Also, the (seen from driving position, mounted) Left one isn't a connector but the shut off swich. the top sliding swich just swiches the Taillight on and of with the now installed lamp.

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is a fruitless endeavor.

You can meter out the ohms between the fork tube and the engine case and get verifiable measurements that the ball bearing/headset increases that greatly.

Having a dedicated ground wire from the forks is always a good idea

« Go to Topic — end of thread