Vespa grande starter clutch

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ok, so I was installing some new starter clutch pads and after wards it would make a weird rattley sound and it would not engage. So I looked at the little treatland thing to check if it was the right orientation... It was. So I put it back In and it did engage but still with that rattleing sound. Took it apart and reassembled it and it engaged backward. So after disassembling and reassembling it it's doesn't engage. I towed it up to 20mph and nuffin.. I'm at a loss.. It's being a peice of trash. So what should I do?Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/19 02:41PM by peug103.

Re: Vespa grande starter clutch

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

1. It is a moped

2. It is always gonna be trash

3. Curl up and die after accepting that the grande Will never be the same again. Not after the bad man got a hold of it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

My first question is why did you replace them? The olympia/aftermarket pads don't grab as well, but you can modify them to have a better seat and they kinda work better.

i just did this same fu dance as well. i was determined to get the bent/worn/og ones working but ultimately failed. so new olympia thicker ones works fine...but... its counter intuitive pad direction and spin of clutch bell. so the wrong direction is the right direction....also if u measure your starter bell and the width of the arms it shouldn't have to fling out that far, also eye ball it to make sure the metal arm aint hitting b4 pads, grind as necessary. also that spring that holds the pads down, flip that for less friction.

Josiah Radebaugh /

because the person who had it before OILED the clutch not grease oil.... And he destroyed it. ther were rekt

soak them in brake cleaner and then see if you can "dry" out the pads without having them come apart.... i cannot count how many times i bought a vespa "that just wont engage because the clutch is broken" and an hour after i get it home and soaked the clutch then baked it dry and polished the bell inside, it will pedal start on the stand.

« Go to Topic — end of thread