Express SR starter motor

Hey. I have an Express SR and the starter motor is acting up. I use the kick starter so its not critical but I'd like to have the starter motor working because why not :D This bike is in amazing shape and I'd like to have everything running in stock shape. Any advice based on the sound its making in the video of it here? How to fix or should I just try to find a replacement? Battery is at 77CCA/12.68 Volts

20190203_130431.jpg

Re: Express SR starter motor

have you been in the transmission, might be teeth. pup the kicker and the cover off and you can take a look, it's probably obvious then. Might be a new motor, maybe not. I had the electric starter on mine but it'd never start it. turned over but wouldn't get going except kickstart.

Jack Rutherford /

I think someone had a thread on repairing the urban express starter which is the same thing. New battery didn't do it for ya? What's the latest on the Tomos?

Nope I took the moped to Batteries Plus and they tested it and told me the battery if healthy. Tomos APPEARS to be fixed but is in storage for another month till the weather improves

What happens when you press the starter button?

> Mike Kirn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What happens when you press the starter button?

Watch the video? It shows what happens.

Jack Rutherford /

good news on the Tomos. Too bad 2nd joke couldn't come through.

Here's maybe a helpful link

I would start by pulling the starter and inspecting it. Take off the stator cover and that will give you access.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/19 03:27PM by churioz.

> Ken Durham Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Watch the video? It shows what happens.

I can't get the video to play. I'll keep trying.

Okay. I got it to play. Make sure all connections (battery, relay, starter wires) are clean and tight. An easy thing to do would be to jump it with a car battery. If it wouldn't start then, I'd pull the starter and 1- check the brushes 2-clean the inside 3-lube the bearings/bushings 4-bench test 5-install and re-test. At this point, if it wasn't diagnosed, I'd start inspecting gears and such.

check for voltage drop at the starter when you are cranking it.

it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with the starter, I'd agree with Mike about jumping it with a larger cranking capacity battery as a test. The batteries on these are barely enough to get em spinning, and condition depends on what test the shop did.

i bet it has voltage, but wouldn't pass a load test.

plus if you are doing this all right now, it is probably super cold which isn't helping.

try riding it around for a bit, under motor is warm, then shutting it off and immediately try to start it up again using the starter.

« Go to Topic — end of thread