Tomos transmission noise when I brake

ben henderson /

So I had my tomos up on some stands and was revving the motor and when I applied the rear brake the trans makes a clunk noise (sometimes twice)

I don't notice it when riding though. Only with the rear wheel in the air.

Could this be a sign that something is the trans is wearing out?

Re: Tomos transmission noise when I brake

Chain tight? Chain is looser when no weight on it.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/19 12:33AM by don45640.

ben henderson /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Chain tight? Chain is looser when no weight on it.

No, actually it is very loose and on my list of things to replace. I already have the adjuster's maxed out and there is still almost twice the amount of play that there should be.

I considered it but thought the noise was coming from inside the case.

But as you say, the chain is looser with no weight and since that is the only time

i've noticed the noise maybe the chain is the cause. I also just put on 290mm shocks, thus increasing the drop of the swing arm when the wheel is off the ground and making the chain just a tad looser than any time before that I've revved the motor with the wheel off the ground.

could be it then,ben.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This is a bad one way needle bearing in the clutch bell. You will. Need to replace it carefully. See wiki.

cant u just take up slack by removing a link? or is it that bad.

You can totally just remove a link from the chain. And its not uncommon to hear thumps and clunks from a motor when you're revving it up to the moon and stopping it on a dime. Think of driving your car at 25 and throwing it in park. Probably not good for it.

ben henderson /

I removed a link from the chain yesturday...though I plan to get a new chain before long.

I have not checked to see if that got rid of the sound...I suspect Slew Foot's assesment is probably right. I also hear a very soft clunk if I walk the bike backwards with the engine running...like the trans wants to turn the kick starter the wrong way.

« Go to Topic — end of thread