Variator weights answer...

todd amundson /

If someone say's 18.6 grams of variator weight, do they mean 18.6 grams total? Or 18.6 grams in each slot. I'm sure it's 18.6 total but I'm in a fight with my other personality right now about the right answer. Thanks

Yes I only know single speed e50 stuff.

Re: Variator weights answer...

Total weight.

i used a rubber hose in my rear spring with a bolt through it & nut on the other side, tightened it up equally on both sides about 9 turns, it acted like a lighten ball effect.

^ seems legit

todd amundson /

Thanks, Im really having a tough time with a derbi. I didn't build the motor. Has yellow contra, treats plate and still can't break 40. No shit.

Is it variating fully? With treats rumpus plate you may want to go back to stock contra and drop down the weight in the rollers

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is it variating fully? With treats rumpus plate you may want to go back

> to stock contra and drop down the weight in the rollers

What he said. Go back to stock contra spring and 24-18g of weight. I run 24g in mine because I don't like it screaming it's ass off all the time and I'm not the only one that rides it. 21g to me is good but still a little on the screamy side but not bad. 18g will get the job but but will scream and suck PLENTY of gas.....

Derbis are usually very limited by gearing. Go as tall as possible.

And yes, rumpus plate is designed for very weak rear springs

is your slide all the way up @ full wick?

todd amundson /

I have gone back to the TJT plate, 21 grams, was able to squeeze 7100 rpm out of it but still no 40 mph. This should rip dicks! It's a flatreed with a 47mm kit! I even went from a MVT premium ignition to a Powerdynamo and it still won't do much. Even went from a TM24 to a 21 phbg and it's the same shit. Yes full wick.

todd amundson /

Oh yeah. If I approach a decline and start going down grade/hill, the bike feels as if it downshifts and slows down. This stupid bitch goes slower down hill!!!!??????

Put it on the stand.

Rev.

Does it go to full variation really really quick?

If so, your rear spring needs to be replaced with a stronger one,

What is your gearing?

What's your jetting on the phbg? What reeds? Oh and what pipe? 13/35 gearing?

My piston port is geared at 21x24 and goes over 40.

Gear as tall as fucking possible.

Dirty30 Dillon /

7400 RPM's is very low for your setup.

My FR with Airsal/Metra spends most of it's time at 9.5/10 and wont start over-rev until about 52mph.

i still say the slide is not up all the way...

your clutch will take beating at slow , down low take -offs all day long unless u peddle the 1st 8 miles an hour all the time.

DILLON's right about the lack luster rev's

todd amundson /

Ok so I did the long rally ride on Saturday. I thought id just limp half way if anything and break off early near my home but I stuck it out. I got the trophy for highest temps at 573 trail tech approved. The ride traverses mountains and rivers. Timings 1.8mm BTDC with a powerdynamo. Gearing is 21-35. Sure didn't feel hot and I didn't break down. Same results as a MVT Premium ignition that was on there before just hotter. Does idle better with the PD ignition. Same throttle response for the most part as a Mikuni TM24 that was on there before. My slides opening all the way as I checked it last night. I'm going to verify jetting in the PHBG today. Reeds are malossi yellow carbino. The pipe is a dirtbike thing. I would need to ditch it to try others and that's gonna be tough.

I always start out with the lightest weights and then go progressively heavier. Once you start picking up speed, keep adding weight. Once you lose speed, lose weight and then you'll be in the sweet spot. Pretty simple. It could definitely be your exhaust too.

> todd amundson Wrote:

> Ok so I did the long rally ride on Saturday. I thought id just limp half

> way if anything and break off early near my home but I stuck it out. I

> got the trophy for highest temps at 573 trail tech approved. The ride

> traverses mountains and rivers. Timings 1.8mm BTDC with a powerdynamo.

> Gearing is 21-35. Sure didn't feel hot and I didn't break down. Same

> results as a MVT Premium ignition that was on there before just hotter.

> Does idle better with the PD ignition. Same throttle response for the

> most part as a Mikuni TM24 that was on there before. My slides opening

> all the way as I checked it last night. I'm going to verify jetting in

> the PHBG today. Reeds are malossi yellow carbino. The pipe is a dirtbike

> thing. I would need to ditch it to try others and that's gonna be tough.

21/35 gearing on a flat reed? Also what thickness reeds? I used too heavy of a reed material in my flat reed and could only get 45. Swapped in a stock reed and hit 55. Bottom end was killer with the heavy reed but top end sucked.

todd amundson /

Counted wrong it's 17/35. Yellow carbino so I think kinda weak as far as reeds go so i'll try stock gila reeds next but the bottom end sucks already. The main in the 21 phbg is 95

> todd amundson Wrote:

> Counted wrong it's 17/35. Yellow carbino so I think kinda weak as far as

> reeds go so i'll try stock gila reeds next but the bottom end sucks

> already. The main in the 21 phbg is 95

Try going up on the main. We have 4 variants in our group and the jetting range from 103-112 on the main. I'm at 112 but I'm only running a metal screen filter. Calvin and Tommy I think run between 103-108. I'm not sure on Charlie. My jetting is 48 idle, 112 main and w9 needle. 17/35 is a bit much also. It's strictly a top end gearing. If you still have the stock 13 go back to that for now. tuned right you'll still hit 50+ on 13/35 and have crazy acceleration.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only flatreed in the 100's.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Wow, glad to see I'm not the only flatreed in the 100's.

It's that feel good moment when you realize that at least if you are jetting against an air leak, you arent alone

> alex . Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Wow, glad to see I'm not the only flatreed in the 100's.

>

> It's that feel good moment when you realize that at least if you are

> jetting against an air leak, you arent alone

Possibly. It also depends on the type of air filter you use also on the phbg.

The best way to know if it's your trans tuning or engine is to run it with no weights.

See if you can get up into the power

If you can, it's all tranny tuning

« Go to Topic — end of thread