Puch E50 Kickstart

Going tomorrow to look at a X40 derived bike, it has the kickstart engine fitted, the guy selling it has said he went out to start it as it hasn't been done in a week or two, he got it started, but it stalled after a short while, It has a new Airsal 70 kit, a bing 15 clone, and a biturbo exhaust. he says it isn't seized, but until i can pull the head and/or try turning the mag side to check the crank can move I cannot confirm this.

He says the kickstart can return, and it isn't all locked up, so sounds like the return spring is ok. but it feels like it is "disconnected" (his words not mine) now ill be honest i know nothing about E50 motors, as I've never owned one. but I've messed with many other peds and 2 stroke motors in general. I'm thinking it may be something like a woodruff key working loose or breaking, so the clutch is spinning on the crank when he kicks it but nothing can engage (i have not nor cannot find a exploded view to confirm it has a woodruff key here) or possibly something is not shimmed right and theres enough slop for it to disengage. and that can account for the disconnected feeling and failure to turn the crank.

Is it possible to get parts to repair the kickstart mech, and does the Magnum X kickstart parts fit? i know where I can get a good used set. do the gears used in the pedal conversion cover to kickstart work? as that might be a source of new parts. I really want to buy this bike, but not if its going to be impossible to source the parts to fix the mech. forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to diagnose a motor i know nothing about other than the basics, and trying to save myself a 130 mile each way trip for nothing... also it could be as simple as the current owner has seized it and either knows nothing, or is playing ignorant. but he seems a genuine guy.

Re: Puch E50 Kickstart

pretty certain magx doesn't fit. the parts aren't easy to find but its likely with some effort you could resore the original kicker. I'd guess some stuff misaligned or stripped but you might be able to clean it up and get it working again.

at worst, you throw a pullstart on the magneto side. it's worth it if you want a cool minibike and chances I'd say are high you can restore the kicker. but if you're only interested in it for the kicker specifically, might be a gamble. cant help much more, but no its not particularly easy or cheap to get e50 kickstart parts/

The kickstart lever and shaft is the only thing different in the actually starting mech. I've swapped all that shit around on my 3 ks motors I have. Everything else is the same, maybe a shim is a differnt size. Also the clutch bell on the magnum x kickstart motors not reverse gear with 3 bearing cases. The city might also be a 4 bearing too regular cut gear clutch bell, but I dunno.

Well I bought it. And I got it running. I took mag cover off. Things were a little stiff when I tried to turn it over. But definitely not seized or even a mild nip up. More like something was done up too tight in the clutch side. It loosened up after I turned it a couple of times on mag. Kickstart re-engaged. And I got it to start. Only left it running briefly. But still feels stiff on clutch side. I'm thinking that something like a spring is missalingned. I'm getting delivery at the weekend. So I will pop the cover then and look things over.

Only one spring in there and it wouldnt rebound if it was in wrong. Its probably got some wear on the teeth. You can just grind it where it starting to turn from a gear to saw blade.

to be honest the bikes done under 1000 miles from new, it was last on the road in 1983.. i have everything with it, the original sales receipt (£352 on the road 21/08/1981), the original tax disks (im in UK), warranty info, and dealer info, and the original UK log book (same as US title) so id like to think the gearing surely cannot be that worn. Hopefully once i get it delivered on Friday i hope i can pull the cover off on Sunday when i have free time, and take a look in there, and post some pics to help diagnose it.

Since you're in the UK getting replacement parts for KS engines isn't that hard. JMPB has some parts like the spring and most parts can also be found second hand in the Netherlands and Germany.

I have found magnum X parts. But unsure if they are the same. It's a shame Puch never had part fiches like the Japanese manufacturers do with clear part numbers to cross reference. Both are E50 motors.

I've never worked on a Magnum X, but the owner of JMPB collects them so you could email him to find out if parts interchange.

Ive literally told you they are essentially the same. The only difference is the shaft has the cotterpin slot in a differnt place and the lever folds up. Its probably easier to find the non magnum x kickstart parts.

« Go to Topic — end of thread