Failed fuel tank liner options

I have a fresh por15 fuel tank liner starting to peel already. I don’t know why it didn’t stick, I spent a month derusting and cleaning the tank. Now I need options, has anyone had this problem or found a solution? It’s kind of an irreplaceable tank.

Re: Failed fuel tank liner options

Dirty30 Dillon /

I always use Caswell and always fully prepared the tank.

Most likely it sounds like your prep was not 100%, so it's falling off the tank walls.

What tank is this that's some how unreplaceable?

That’s my guess. I was pretty confident in the prep. Original magnum LTD tank. After reading some por15 horror stories I think I should’ve went caswell. I’m just not sure what to do now.

MEK should break POR15 down .

Dirty30 Dillon /

MEK is also extremely volatile. I would try Xylene/Toluene before that. Xylene loosened up the failing Cream liner in my roomies elite.

Pulled that whole sucker out like a wet scab

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> MEK is also extremely volatile. I would try Xylene/Toluene before that.

> Xylene loosened up the failing Cream liner in my roomies elite.

>

> Pulled that whole sucker out like a wet scab

True . MEK is something that requires definite care . Pretty much the same as any chemical .

kevin Smellaflange /

white vinegar, old hair dryer/dry out ...caswells= bravo

Took off two large chunks and placed one piece in MEK and one piece in xylene and in 24 hours neither had much of an effect. Not looking good for me.

> C Colombo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Took off two large chunks and placed one piece in MEK and one piece in

> xylene and in 24 hours neither had much of an effect. Not looking good

> for me.

That's interesting . Will you leave both 'tests' alone for a length of time to see if anything happenes ?

Overpriced Parts /

They all fail except for installing, welding, using real metal !

Yes if it wasnt for the 2 pinholes i would never have dumped a sealer in, live and learn. cant afford to lose the tank though so im meticulously peeling and picking, without using any chemicals.

I have always used Kreme and never had a problem. I had to redo one that kept getting water in it due to a bad cap design, and I one that lasted me for 10 years. I filled that one with acetone and let it sit for a few weeks yo dissolve the old Kreme. Then I filled it with vinegar to get the rust out, rinsed, and then did the Kreme kit again. Read the instructions a few times and use a mini mag flashlight adjusted to narrow beam to inspect after soaking. Driveway stones help to wash away the half loosened up stuff, just a few is all you need. Any dark spots visible and the Kreme wont stick there. Rinse really good and dont put salt in it ever. I usually buy a small can of MEK for the rinsing the water out and use the stuff supplied in the kit for thinning the Kreme for each coat, keeping it moving in the tank to cover evenly. For a moped tank I use the whole bottle, the light coats dry fast.

can you match the paint? you can always repair the pinholes from the outside and then paint the patch.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Not a fan of ANY tank coating. Melt the remnants of the old failed coating out with MEK, acetone, aircraft paint stripper or whatever. Clean ALL rust with either the electrolysis method, oxalic acid or one of those expensive rust removers.

If there are a few minor pinholes. Find them by watching where your rinse water leaks out. Poke it through in the center. Then use a 1/4" drill bit or countersink tool to make a concave depression and fill with solder.

I did this with a badly rusted Pinto tank, soldered up 10 or so pinholes with a solder gun and it's still holding.

Coating the Inside of tank just makes a mess unless it's done to aircraft FAA standards.(edited)

Angry Hipster /

Can you explain the solder process a bit more?

What gun and what solder should be used?

I'm stuck with a bad pinto tank and would love to be able to repair it properly.

fuck tank coat.

solder, don't use a gun, use a torch. it's more like brazing. get the metal hot and melt the rod/wire on the metal, vs using the torch to melt the wire.

« Go to Topic — end of thread