Heating case halves with new seals for crankshaft install per M48 rebuild wiki.

Not interested in reheating my case halves for crank install with the new seals fearing the seal integrity will be compromised at all.

The wiki "how to" explains this as the reassembly process.

Over thought or genuine concern?

Re: Heating case halves with new seals for crankshaft install per M48 rebuild wiki.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Should have reassembled with the crank and bearings first, and then installed the seals.

Re: Heating case halves with new seals for crankshaft install per M48 rebuild wiki.

What are you putting back together and what have you actually done so far? Are you trying to salvage a build in progress or just planning ahead?

Doh, nevermind M48... title got cropped on my phone.

Doh

My apologies. So, aside from establishing said motor, where are you at?

350 is around operating temp. You won't damage the seals. The seals on an m48 go in on the inside?

So, mine was an AV7 with internal seals. First time I did it, I put the seals in the case, crank bearings on the crank and chilled the crank in the freezer. I heated the bearing surfaces at the shoulder of the case. Seemed far enough from the seals to prevent heat damage. I ended up tearing one of the seals when I reassembled. Threads caught the rubber and I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Second time around, I placed the seals and bearings (heat case, chill bearings) first. I chilled the crank and fitted everything together. Since the crank is tapered, took a little bit of umph to slide it all together but the bearings in place helped guide the crank and prevent seal damage again.

I used some LucasOil assembly line on all the mating surfaces but you could probably use some 2-cycle oil as well.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I cheat and use an oven to heat the halves to 375f just the halves..

I use a jig to set the bearings and seals on the crank and check true and have the spacing right.

I Also have 4 extra long case bolts. Torque it like a head with the paper gaskets and use some Indian head shellac on the intake and base of Reedblock port.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account