Garelli clutch won't disengage

Hi i have a Garelli Eureka from 1973 with the one speed automatic clutch and it haves some problems. i hope some of you can help me out.

when it is standing on its kickstand and is idling the back tire spins contantly and when i try to stop it by braking it or taking it down from the kickstand the bikes dies and i have to start it up agian.

a couple of days ago i opened the transmisson and replaced the 6 rubber pieces/bushings that where completely broken down and was spread around the engine block. i put new ones in and put it all back together and fired it up but it is still the same. the only difference is that i can move very slowly now and still not die but when i do a complete stop it still dies.

i have also tried adjusting the cluth cable and starting it but it remains the same.

it runs great and does not really annoy me that much but in the long run won't it damage the engine? i live in a city with a lot of trafic lights so i have to stop pretty often or just roll very slowly until they turn green

i hope someone can help me im pretty much out of ideas at this point

PS. sorry for My bad english* Moved to this forum by simon

Re: Garelli clutch won't disengage

Did you replace with NEW rubber pieces? There are Garelli guys on here that have suffered all thru this. Have you done a search for all dates a gen.Discussion Forum and Repair forum?

yeah the rubber pieces i used where new

and yes i have also read alot of the other threads and tried doing some of the things they said but its still not working sadly

You need the actual clutch rubber it self. This.

https://www.treatland.tv/garelli-NOI-replacement-rubber-clutch-pad-p/garelli-noi-rubber-clutch.htm

It's swollen and causing all your problems most likely. Angelo Massimino has a better one I think though.(edited)

i've read something about sanding down the rubber donut a bit with a fine piece of sandpaper. would that work?

Angelo Massimino /

Me too, I believe that the problem of your engine consists of the rubber of the clutch.

I've for sale this rubber.

If you are interested, PM me

> Willi fog Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i've read something about sanding down the rubber donut a bit with a

> fine piece of sandpaper. would that work?

Not once it's swollen. You can try soaking it in mineral oil possibly.

deja vu, anyways, chuck it in a drill and sand with coarse rough sandpaper.

^ word........you can make it werk with out cash....fukin rubber......sorry angelo, mad love!!

how many mm or inches should it be sanded down and is it with course or fine sandpapir?

> Willi fog Wrote:

> how many mm or inches should it be sanded down and is it with course or

> fine sandpapir?

INCHES....face palm....get a puch

mm is fine also its what i use i just asked more widespread

> Willi fog Wrote:

> mm is fine also its what i use i just asked more widespread

It really depends on how much it's swollen. Sand, try, sand, try until you get it right or working like you want it.

okay thanks for the help

It's definitely the clutch. they swell when using any detergent oils or transmission fluid, the garelli requires only SAE30 ND - make sure it's got the ND designation for non detergent.

Unfortunately once it's been run with the wrong fluid, the clutch swells pretty much irreparably. I have had success with mineral spirits in the past, but not 100%, it was still a little grabby and would eventually heat up if you were idling a lot and it'd start to grab towards the end of rides. It's also a pain, lots of pressure cycle evacuating (used a cheap food evacuator thing from my old lab) not sure if it needed all that tho.

Sanding should work but if you get lopsided it'll destroy those little guides, though theyre easy to replace and you can use Teflon tubing instead that should last nearly forever. most important sanding I think would be keeping the clutch outer always exactly normal to the shaft. perpendicular.

Basically your option is to replace it anyway so might as well try sanding. I also saw someone talking about casting some out of polyurethane and I think that's a fantastic idea, but not most cost effective.

here in denmark non detergent oils is not really a thing is sae 30 lawnmower oil fine?

some of the specs are

API SF/CC + CCMC G2/D1 + MIL-L-46152 B/C + Ford M2C153-C (SF/CC) Ford M2C9011-A + GM 6085M

> Willi fog Wrote:

> here in denmark non detergent oils is not really a thing is sae 30

> lawnmower oil fine?

>

> some of the specs are

>

> API SF/CC + CCMC G2/D1 + MIL-L-46152 B/C + Ford M2C153-C (SF/CC) Ford

> M2C9011-A + GM 6085M

From what I understand "lawnmower" oil is non detergent. Don't hold me to that though.

Hi just a status update on the Garelli

I tore open the transmission again and tried fitting a new rubber donut but it did not fit. the new one looked like the old one so i dont think the old one was swollen. anyways after that i tried sanding the rubber donut a bit down with fine sandpapir and put it back together but i did not help. how much should i sand it down? and if it does not work does it damage the engine each time it shuts down and I start it up agian?. i runs great and all but it gets a bit annoying in the long run

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Was the rubber clutch a re-pop or NOS?(edited)

dont know what re-pop is but if NOS is orginal then yes

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Re-pop is another word for reproduction. Where did you find an original rubber clutch? New old stock (NOS) rubber clutches are pretty scarce.

got it from i guy here in denmark that sells garelli parts and stuff

a picture of your clutch installed might help. post some photos of annoying rubber clutch. when all together does your clutch bell spin freely?

gonna take apart the clutch agian in a few days and upload some pics but in the meantime. How bad is it for the engine to start and stop at traffic lights, I never have any problems starting it up agian and it always runs good. any ideas?

doesn't really matter - it's worse if you rev it to keep it slipping and running at lights, then you can get it pretty hot and scorch things, usually it'll smoke some oil first probably but could eventually overheat the seals or blue and warp the bell.

I've never done it but had a garelli where the bell was roasted, it actually had a lotta black burned on oil char even on the inside that'd grab, maybe someone previously made this mistake: is your bell clean and not warped?

as for nondetergent, check for the API donut logo, at least here all oi'l got one somewhere on the label:

On the top rocker you want it to be "SA" which is nondetergent. you want the bottom rocker to be empty.

Yes the bell looks and feels fine and is not warped as far as i can tell.

There is a bit of buildup on the left side panel on the inside put the moped is 46 years so that is understandable

So no damage is done if i turn it off at stop lights and then pedel start it agian?

Hi a little update on the garelli

Took it out for a spin today and found out that if i give it a tiny bit of throttle when it is holding still i can keep it going. its not like im giving full gas and braking with the ohter hand so i dont think it will burn out anything. am i correct?

I put one on a Bridgeport lathe once to take 2 mm off the diameter. It made quite a mess but after smoothing with a polishing wheel it worked like new

The only thing it might "burn out" is the clutch rubber so don't be overly concerned. As it heats up it expands so again it will likely worsen.

Pictures...pictures.