Paint or not to paint

When the time comes to clean the freshly removed cylinder head..and you ask your self if you should slap that old head with some new paint...then you recognize that painting it can and will raise the overall temp of the cylinder head...yeah it should be fine you think..then again you think... how much does it really raise the operating temp....so my question is which is the overall best method for sprucing head ...he'll if I take the time to polish it then you know that process removes the material until you get your desired finish...so...less weight..smoother surfaces...better heat transfer...or I can paint it any freaking color in the world and more....well after this train of thought I gotta just leave it in its old ass weather worn and abused condition....what are your thoughts??

Re: Paint or not to paint

Have it vapor blasted. I had a 4T head and valves vapor blasted and it came out beautifully.

my thoughts are painting wont affect heat much at all. it will likely be slightly hotter. but unless it's a thick epoxy coat or something it's not a big effect. I mean the a35's all came loaded with thick black paint and they're great regardless.

vapor blasting is nice for nice things but not exactly cheap or quick. probably cost you 50-75 bucks which at that point you could buy a 2 brand new heads or a performance one with custom cut squish.

but yea, go ahead - paint's a good freshen up for appearance if you want it pretty. polishing is a nightmare between all those fins etc, but if you got time to kill it'd look nice and could work marginally better.

And , then we have thermal dispersant coatings that can be considered . ;)

My 4T head and valves cost $25 to vapor blast.

^you must know a guy because a set of e50 cases is like 60 bucks here. Then again theres only one moto shop that does it in Seattle so they can charge whatever they want.

yea I haven't found anyone that cheap either. 25 wouldn't be bad, especially if it's local and you can drop off and pick up. Still - a custom cut head's only 50 and shiny and better performing. but I think the real question is, are there significant negatives to sharting a coat of grill paint over my cylinder head while it's off.

nope. go for it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

How effective would it be to shove a water line into a regular sand blasting gun...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account