A-3 no spark unless points are set less then spec.

Robert Timmons /

As the title says I will have spark at a point gap of around .015-.025mm but from what I’ve read the spec is .035-.045mm. At first I was just finding TDC with a screwdriver in spark plug hole but since I wasn’t getting good results I bought a piston stop and did it that way. I’m assuming the rotor is 360mm? I’m mechanically inclined but this a3 is just stumping me.

The diagram seems to show the blue wire grounded via tail light so I just stuck it to the engine for now since the owner previously cut all the wires. Is that resistor in tail light crucial for the ignition?

My next step is to get new points as they look wore sideways on the lower contact pad. They are obviously cleaned enough cause I get spark at a lower gap.

Im new to the tomos mopeds so if I left any important info out let me know. I guess my question is where would you go from here?

Pictures for reference.

image.jpg
B53966D9-67EE-40AE-8557-247C807F4DDC.jpeg

Re: A-3 no spark unless points are set less then spec.

Have you tried a known good condenser ?

Bosch seems to be the best brand .

Robert Timmons /

I have not. You think that could be part of the issue even tho I do get spark? I read of one of the guys using a VW condenser. What Bosch condenser would you recommend?

HERE is a google search for a .22µ Bosch condenser .

The VW condensers have a long pigtail so they can be mounted outside the magneto . Helps cool them and easier to replace , if needed .(edited)

> Robert Timmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> As the title says I will have spark at a point gap of

> around .015-.025mm

This is .015-.025in. not millimeters. Set the points gap to .015in.

> but from what I’ve read the spec is .035-.045mm.

The correct metric equivalent is 0.35-0.63mm

>At first I was just finding TDC with a screwdriver

> in spark plug hole but since I wasn’t

> getting good results I bought a piston stop and

>did it that way. I’m assuming the rotor is 360mm?

I think you meant to write 360 degrees. If you're using a piston stop you will also need to attach a degree wheel to the rotor to find the EXACT top dead center.

ScreenShot115.jpg

If you use a dial indicator it's easier. Google " find tdc, piston stop, degree wheel " and watch some videos.

ScreenShot116.jpg

yr shit tore up. get new points. but if it runs good who cares.

gap's not critical if it works. don't sweat the petty shit and don't pet the sweaty shit

Robert Timmons /

Crap thanks for catching my spec mistake. Like I said I’m mechanically inclined not mathematically. Lol. I have 2 sets of feeler gauges so had the wrong one. Set points to .38mm and have strong spark! That leads me to the next question. If I have problems getting this encarwi carb to run properly what options are out there to switch to WITHOUT having to do a bore kit? Also probably gunna throw new rings on the pistons can you maybe provide me a link? Thanks for your help.

> Robert Timmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>Set points to .38mm and have strong spark!

Remember, anytime you adjust the points gap CHECKING AND RE-ADJUSTING THE IGNITION TIMING IS MANDATORY.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account