Honda Hobbit - no spart

I have a problem with one of my Hobbit motors not getting a spark. I put a battery and test lamp in series with the black/white wire and the green ground wire. When I rotate the crank the test lamp stays lit even when the points are open. I ohmned out all the coils and they all meet specs. Can someone help me out. thanks Jack

Re: Honda Hobbit - no spart

Is "Spart" a cross between "spark" and "fart"?

^don't mind him, he's not very spart.

sounds like you've already realized that your black white wire is grounded. grounding that wire is how the kill switch works. trace that, disconnect sections, and see if you can find where it's grounding. could be as simple as a faulty kill switch

You can bypass the ignition/killswitch by connecting the black/white from the magneto to the black/yellow from the ignition coil; then connect the respective wires that the magneto and ignition coil plug into (the wires from the wiring harness). I might have my colors backwards, (it's been awhile since I've done it) but that's the general idea.

also sometimes the black white wire will APPEAR grounded with a test light but really it's just a low resistance across the ignition coil, which is non-zero but it's low enough to not impede your test light. better to use a multimeter and see how "grounded" it actually is

Re: Honda Hobbit - no spark

I finally got around to looking at the no spark ignition problem on my Hobbit. After removing the flywheel I noticed that at no time during the rotation of the crank that the points were making contact with each other. These are new points from Treats and I set the gap at .350mm as shown in the manual. Can someone please help me resolve the problem. Spring is finally coming to the Northeast and I want to try this Hobbit out. Thanks Jack

Did you set the gap when the points were as open as possible at any time during a full revolution ?

No I did not. I set the gap at .350mm when the “F” on the flywheel lined up with the mark on the case.

Try setting the points when the points rubbing block ( that part that rides on the cam ) is resting on the highest point of the cam .

And , check that the flywheel key has not sheared .

Thank you. The key is new and I will try resetting the gap tomorrow. Should I set the gap at .350mm at he high point. Jack

Yes .

You say that's the factory recommended setting . It seems a bit tight , but ???

The manual says between .3mm to .4mm, so I split the difference. Jack

Then that's where I'd start .

« Go to Topic — end of thread