Motobecane Mobylette Repair

Peter Napierkowski /

Hello everyone I recently bought a 1977 Motobecane Mobylette with 680 original miles on it. I am looking to get it running but as of right now all it does it back fire a tiny bit every now and then. It has spark and compression. I was looking at doing the timing next. But while I’m waiting for the puller from treats does anyone have any other advice? I’m hoping timing is the issue. I have never worked on a Motobecane before and fortunately I found one for dirt cheap in insanely nice condition. I truly believe this one will be a runner soon!

image.jpg

Re: Motobecane Mobylette Repair

Beautiful bike.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

Learn from the wiki here. Fred's guide and rebel moby knows his shit. Read all his stuff too.

Here's a start:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/RebelMoby

ask the seller if he still has the side covers.

Fresh fuel, good flow? New plug, correct gap? Check plug lead for cracks, same with the coil. Are you using the decomp? The choke? Is the horn on when you pedal, if so turn the kill switch to on...make sure it is there anyway.(edited)

The best thing you can do for a Moby is ditch the stock gurtner carb.

Get a dellorto15/15 SHA and a shorty intake from treats....I'd bet moneys that's ur problem.

kevin Smellaflange /

my moby has 678 miles on it it's a 30 mph bronze one.

some of the things i noticed were speedo was holding back a spinning front wheel ( easy check )...

grease will be a caked GO0ooo by now ....so variator grease fitting won't re-grease so 9mm spin out grease fitting & wire douche/scrape out the old muck...

the new grease comes out just passed the 2nd true arch /sirclip/snap ring inside the grease exit hole...

get some used snap-ring pliers, baby grease gun, new points & make an external condenser happen.

get a manual. a good micron tool set. stock pipe can be modded to work w/kits. ***flush tank w/white vinegar*** pm me w/needs

Backfiring means your timing slipped. Set flywheel and points correctly and blast, and swap condenser at the same time.

If timing slips again lap the flywheel taper and crank with metal grinding compound to mate the surfaces together better

I always ditch the stock novi ignition coil for the generic red coil on treats.

Watch his videos on his rebuild might help you get your started. Help me figure out so much good luck on your bike

kevin Smellaflange /

i bought my copper moby with 678 miles and i found my speedo was slowing the front wheel spin.

check yours...stock it got 30 mph.... i put a pipe on it & got 36 mph.

check your tank...run 3 fuel fiters, clean the tank 1 first.

kevin Smellaflange /

i forgot about this old tread...so shoot me!

« Go to Topic — end of thread