Motrons with two sizes of fork tubes?

If you ever bought a moped with bent fork tubes, you know it's best to repair or replace them. So with 9 Motrons, it seems that 3 of them had bent fork tubes.

Two of the bikes have been red Medalists. On the first bike, I found an enire fork on ebay from one of our MA members, Terry Gerker, at a good price. It was a fairly easy swap out. I just yesterday noticed that the second red Medalist needed one tube, which looks to be on the same side as a bent pedal crank, making me think that the bike had been dropped on that side.

My 9th bike, my second yellow Sprint, has a slight bend to both tubes, but I also noticed that the tubes on the Sprint seem to be about a quarter inch in circumference smaller than ANY of the other 7 bikes in my basement. The other Sprint is on loan to my mechanic as a test bike for him to check the engines as he rebuilds them.

The first thought that came to mind was that the Sprint and Fairway, both names for the yellow model, were the cheaper models and that maybe the folks in Italy put skinnier tubes on them. This would also mean that the entire fork assembly was slightly different on those models. I only wish I had the other Sprint here to compare it to.

Are there any collectors who have many of the same brand of bike, and it doesn't have to be Motrons, that have ran into a similar situation with stock fork tubes?

Re: Motrons with two sizes of fork tubes?

I've definitely had same model bikes from different years that have different forks. I've got 2 garelli SSXL's that we tried to swap fork tubes between them and they were just totally different design of forks! there were a lot of year to year variations and model to model just from cost cutting perspectives. I usually rely on measuring the headtube and finding fitting replacements for the whole fork set. for example on the garelli I just mentioned we used the good set of forks and tubes on the good bike, replaced the other ones with a set of decent forks from a Tomos.

You can usually find close-enough replacements from other mopeds or small dirtbikes and motorcycles, or new replacement upgrades like EBR's. Just measure head tube length and diameter and you're set, sometimes requires swapping hardware like cups cones and bearings around but that's pretty easy, especially if you've worked with forks - even on bicycles - before.

Re: Motrons with two sizes of fork tubes?

Your Gerlfriend /

> You can usually find close-enough replacements from other mopeds or

> small dirtbikes and motorcycles, or new replacement upgrades like EBR's.

> Just measure head tube length and diameter and you're set, sometimes

> requires swapping hardware like cups cones and bearings around but

> that's pretty easy, especially if you've worked with forks - even on

> bicycles - before.

This is why i browse these forums, this is the sentences i needed to read

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account