Honda Hobbit - rebuild stator or buy economical CDI?

The “exciter” coil on my PA50I stator is shot. Should I try to rebuild the stator (I have another stator whose exciter coil is good) or purchase one of the economical CDI from 77Mopeds. Or just get a good used stator off the buy and sell. Your opinions are welcome. Thanks Jack.

Re: Honda Hobbit - rebuild stator or buy economical CDI?

I am very skeptical that a coil goes bad. But, get a good used setup. You will spend multiple times more effort changing wiring, adding regulators, and changing bulbs by going for the aftermarket CDI to which your build will likely never need.

Have you checked the AC voltage directly off the coil?

I've never seen one go bad.

Hobbit coils are the strongest coils I've ever seen

I checked the coil voltages on two stators and on both, the voltage output from the “exciter” coil (black wire) is zero. However I do get good voltages from both other coils (red wire & yellow wire) on each stator. Is it possible I am doing something wrong or something that I can easily fix. Jack

Set your points so they're always open. Then read ac voltage directly out of the coil

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Set your points so they're always open. Then read ac voltage directly

> out of the coil

Or just slip something between , to insulate the points from each other .

I HAVE VOLTAGE. I did like you suggested and there is voltage now coming off the black wire. My next logical question is why did blocking the points cause the voltage output?

My next step is to connect the black wire to the HT coil to see if there is spark. Should I return the points to their correct gap first or try it with the points in the normal position?

Another question is what should the output voltages be off each of the three wires,(black, red and yellow)?

Thanks for now. Jack

You will get no spark by just connecting it, the points open and close to cause the coil to charge and then the field to collapse which emits a spark. Look into how a high tension coil works. The short answer is either your HT coil is bad or your points are bad/wrong.

Or your plug wire is unscrewed on the ht coil or in the cap.

I've had that happen 100 times

Don't worry about the other coils,

Unloaded they'll put out crazy high voltage, like 30-60vac

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account